Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with barrel selection, 18 inch 5.56

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was just shopping around on my buddys site (John Hwang of Rainier Arms) looking on my own quest for an 18" barrel, and ran across the below. I have a barrel from the same RA series that someone had returned and claimed it didn't group well.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...weight-barrel/

I wrote up a thread about one of the barrels in this series that was returned, but the end result is shown below. Again, this is a supposed defective barrel, that once cleaned, shot groups off a bipod that measured out at four groups of five rounds each that averaged .724 MOA with 69 grain Sierra Matchking, and a best group of .480 MOA.

I make no claim in being the best shooter, but that sold me on the barrels in that series from RA. Best of all, its $260 (I think your mark was under 3 hundo), and in stock.

Last edited by Stickman; 04-12-22 at 09:42. Reason: typoooooooos
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here is a link to the complete thread if anyone cares to read it.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...)***-IT-GROUPS!!!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    I had the heavier version of that one, and it was a fantastic shooter. I can't say that it was as good as the one I linked to, but I'll happily admit that I don't know if I shot all the same variations of ammo, it perhaps that would have made the difference. I also feel that some barrels that come off the line are "magic", while others produced that same day are only "really good". Not sure if that makes sense or not to anyone else. I gave my WOA barreled upper away to a good buddy who has shot more people than me and is an awesome vet and fantastic guy. That dude is cool enough that he got the upper with DD rail and 4x optic for being so great.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    Take a hard look at Green Mountains 18" offerings. I think youll recognize a few models....

https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ar-15-...sort=pricedesc
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I was just shopping around on my buddys site (John Hwang of Rainier Arms) looking on my own quest for an 18" barrel, and ran across the below. I have a barrel from the same RA series that someone had returned and claimed it didn't group well.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...weight-barrel/

~SNIP~
    Light weight, within budget, and from a company that allows returns if you are unhappy for any reason. Stick says his shoots very well. They have a military discount.

Just order it

I would suggest emailing them and asking if they will verify headspace if you purchase a bolt.

Edit - I do realize that other great barrels have been suggested. GM, WOA, Criterion, etc. and you are almost guaranteed to end up with an AR that just flat out shoots with any of them.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-13-22 at 07:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Light weight, within budget, and from a company that allows returns if you are unhappy for any reason. Stick says his shoots very well. They have a military discount.

Just order it

I would suggest emailing them and asking if they will verify headspace if you purchase a bolt.

Edit - I do realize that other great barrels have been suggested. GM, WOA, Criterion, etc. and you are almost guaranteed to end up with an AR that just flat out shoots with any of them.

Andy

They should do that without any trouble at all.

I also agree there are a lot of great barrels out there. RA is probably not the only one who has a guarantee, but it is something to think about if the barrel being a good shooter concerns you.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WornOutGrunt View Post

*** Just saw an 18" Criterion in EE Section for a good price....Just saying... I have no dog in this hunt... but it is a nice bbl****
    Honestly this. Buy it before I do. Yes, I am fickle.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-13-22 at 17:49.

Feedback Score
    Go with the Original Douglas Premium 18” MK 12 barrel

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    While the Crane Spec Centurion Arms MK12 18 inch barrel is an excellent barrel, it weighs 38.3 ounces. The OP said he is trying to stay at 30 oz or under.
    Last edited by Biggy; 04-16-22 at 14:28.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast