Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Need help with barrel selection, 18 inch 5.56

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I thought you were replying to the post immediately before yours, which referenced a LW match barrel.

The OP mentioned he has 2 16" guns and was looking for something different.

I did a build with a rifle gas 18" CHF Rainier barrel (yes, A2 profile) for similar reasons and am pretty happy with it. Very soft shooter, but so is my 16" BRT barrel with an intermediate length gas system.

Andy
    I had that exact Rainier Arms barrel in a build, and it was a really soft shooter. It would be perfect for what he wants to do, but it’s not listed on their website anymore.. I think FN still has an 18” rifle gas A2 barrel in their catalog.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I had that exact Rainier Arms barrel in a build, and it was a really soft shooter. It would be perfect for what he wants to do, but it’s not listed on their website anymore.. I think FN still has an 18” rifle gas A2 barrel in their catalog.
    Yeah, they have a LW profile SS barrel in a lightweight profile.
    I'm thinking it would be a nice light barrel that gets good accuracy for a few shots before warming up. 18" is a 33oz barrel, so close to his "30oz' goal.

Of course Colt barrels are also accurate so there is that option as well.

Feedback Score
    I have the BA MK12 profile .223 wyle barrel in 18" with rifle gas system. it does well with 75 OTM and is a sub MOA barel. doesnt like 77 OTM though. Im about to switch to a 20" MK12 profile BCM match and put this 18 up for sale. Only thing I do not like is the barrel didn't come dimpled.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For those still shopping for lightweight 18" 5.56mm barrels here are some lightweight 18" barrel currently available: OK one's only 17.7 but it's close. Most will be a little heavy, in both price and weight. I just went on a deep shopping experience looking for my 'perfect' 18" barrel for a new build. I finally went with a 18" Wilson Combat Fluted Barrel, @ 37 oz so not exactly a true lightweight, but below are some that I considered.

@31 Oz

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/1...um-series.html

@33 Oz

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...lde-barrel-18/

@32.2 Oz

https://noveske.com/products/ambidex...k-barrel-5-56/

@33 Oz

https://www.odinworks.com/223-Wylde-...18-3g-r-tg.htm

@30 Oz

https://www.roscomanufacturing.com/s...d-18223-wylde/
    Last edited by BobinNC; 01-14-23 at 11:32.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Rainier Mountain Series would be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mark2734 View Post
    So I'm looking to build a general purpose rifle. I already have a short gun and a heavy barrel rifle so I want something in between.

I was thinking a pencil barrel 18 inch rifle with a LPVO. I was looking at both true pencil barrels and Faxon's Gunner profile but the general feedback was both are very heat sensitive.

I've expanded my research into Ballistic Advantage Hansen Profile, Roscoe medium profile, or Faxon Gov't profile barrels. I'm trying to stay under 30 ounces and $300. Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Rainier Mountain Series would be a good choice.
    Rainier Mountain barrels don’t come in 18” or 20” variants anymore. Additionally, they only come in a heavy profile with fluting.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I had a Rainier Mountain CHF 18" rifle gas fire a few years. Sold it to a buddy. Built an even lighter upper using a Faxon first gen 18" rifle gas "Gunner" barrel.

VERY handy. Goverment profile behind the GB, .625" journal, pencil between gas block journal and muzzle.

I know Faxon quality has fallen off, but this one has been really solid. 1.5moa with good ammo and an Aimpoint, lighter than many 16" guns. Very soft recoil for the weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    If you can find one, Criterion Core barrels should fit the bill. They should be making another run of them in a few months.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Well then…..I didn’t know that. I swear I was on their website a couple weeks again looking for an 18” and they had the regular 18” mountain barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Rainier Mountain barrels don’t come in 18” or 20” variants anymore. Additionally, they only come in a heavy profile with fluting.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Well then…..I didn’t know that. I swear I was on their website a couple weeks again looking for an 18” and they had the regular 18” mountain barrels.
    Could you be thinking of their Select Barrels?
    https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...6-nato-barrel/

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast