Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dead primers in old hand loads.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Since they came out of a loaded mag... Is it possible that they had been chambered and ejected before?

We've all heard about the little primer strikes that happen upon chambering, and how that can cause the lightly struck primers to become duds, right?

Grasping at straws...
    I know about the little ding in the primer from an auto loader with a floating firing pin. Never heard of this causing it to be a “dud”.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I know about the little ding in the primer from an auto loader with a floating firing pin. Never heard of this causing it to be a “dud”.
    Yeah, this came up on this forum, years ago...

Guys would chamber a round going on duty, and then at the end of the shift unchamber the same round and put it in the top of the mag, and repeat ad infinitum, and then at some point when they were counting on a "bang" only got a click.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Yeah, this came up on this forum, years ago...

Guys would chamber a round going on duty, and then at the end of the shift unchamber the same round and put it in the top of the mag, and repeat ad infinitum, and then at some point when they were counting on a "bang" only got a click.
    I could see how doing this over and over with the same cartridge might make the primer less likely to go off.

Never seen, heard of or had this happen to me with a once “dinged” primer.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    These rounds hadn't been chambered. I fired a handful of other mag ammo Saturday with no issues. I even re-primed the 2 pieces of brass and shot those successfully. The primer pockets were clean an free of contamination as far as I could tell.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123