Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lordy I love the 1911

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Lordy I love the 1911

Guys,

I was shooting a steel framed Walther, my G19 and my Springfield Ronin 9mm. I was shooting them back to back. Results (best to worst): 1. Slow for groups (Walther/1911/G19), 2. Fast as Hell (just trying to keep them on the steel)(1911, Walther, G19), 3. As fast as I could keep them in the A-zone (1911 (Walther/G19 tied). My lord I sort of forgot how amazing the 1911 is. I will admit I could group slightly better with the Walther, but in terms of speed and speed for accuracy the 1911 was just flat-better. There is something just better about the recoil impulse and sight tracking on the 1911. I know they are old, but they are still amazing.

This probably didn't merit a post, but Lord I love the 1911. I know it has become trendy to sort of dismiss the 1911 as obsolete, but it is hard to dismiss a gun that shoots faster and is more accurately when shot at speed. I guess I need to dust off my Milt Sparks.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been buying more 1911s lately....probably because I am getting older...lol

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The 9mm 1911 is unbeatable. It messes up my shooting of carry guns a little because it's like taking candy from a baby.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I jumped to 2011 in 9mm because I prefer capacity of rounds... 1911s I have are all 45ACP

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    A steel frame 1911 in 9mm is the essence of cheating.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    It is! You would think the Walther Steel Frame (which weighs 39 oz, just like a 1911) would be close. But you can definitely tell the 1911 is smoother and tracks better. Now I want an all steel Beretta.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    For those of us well over age 50, it's more about evening the odds. My days of shooting hand howitzers are long past. I "can" still shoot a .45, I just don't want to. Cheating?

U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    I jumped to 2011 in 9mm because I prefer capacity of rounds... 1911s I have are all 45ACP
    While I have a Colt O1992 9mm pistol, I almost ordered a Commander (already have one in .45) but ordered a new Browning High Power instead (to accompany the BHP I already have). Browning discontinued them before I even got it to the Range so it’ll stay NIB for now. Probably give it to my youngest daughter (the 1LT).

Feedback Score
    I'm torn... I really want a full size top tier 1911 in 9mm. My day of shooting .45 are over. It's just not fun anymore.

I'm really leaning towards a full size STI 2011 for capacity. It's not as nostalgic, but it's a heck of a lot more practical. A single stack Wilson or Nighthawk is a lot more sexy though. I can not afford both. I can only have one full size though... 1911 or 2011... Decisions, decisions.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Wasn't the original Commander a 9mm? For me, the alloy frame Commanders feel amazing when you handle them, they are just so well balanced. Being 10 oz lighter doesn't hurt, of course.

Andy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast