Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lordy I love the 1911

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Lordy I love the 1911

Guys,

I was shooting a steel framed Walther, my G19 and my Springfield Ronin 9mm. I was shooting them back to back. Results (best to worst): 1. Slow for groups (Walther/1911/G19), 2. Fast as Hell (just trying to keep them on the steel)(1911, Walther, G19), 3. As fast as I could keep them in the A-zone (1911 (Walther/G19 tied). My lord I sort of forgot how amazing the 1911 is. I will admit I could group slightly better with the Walther, but in terms of speed and speed for accuracy the 1911 was just flat-better. There is something just better about the recoil impulse and sight tracking on the 1911. I know they are old, but they are still amazing.

This probably didn't merit a post, but Lord I love the 1911. I know it has become trendy to sort of dismiss the 1911 as obsolete, but it is hard to dismiss a gun that shoots faster and is more accurately when shot at speed. I guess I need to dust off my Milt Sparks.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been buying more 1911s lately....probably because I am getting older...lol

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The 9mm 1911 is unbeatable. It messes up my shooting of carry guns a little because it's like taking candy from a baby.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I jumped to 2011 in 9mm because I prefer capacity of rounds... 1911s I have are all 45ACP

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    A steel frame 1911 in 9mm is the essence of cheating.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    A steel frame 1911 in 9mm is the essence of cheating.
    It is! You would think the Walther Steel Frame (which weighs 39 oz, just like a 1911) would be close. But you can definitely tell the 1911 is smoother and tracks better. Now I want an all steel Beretta.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Good post!
    Just tonight my wife asked me if I could only keep one of my many handguns, which would it be. I told her my DW Guardian in 38 Super. It just does amazing things in my hands. I could never part with it. For the record, my Beretta 92 Centurion was a close second.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yep.

I have a “beater” Wilson 9mm Single Stack I use for “introduction to handgun” for new shooters.
    Have yet to hear anyone make a negative comment.
    1.8 sec. Bill Drills are about average with it. I cannot do that with a .45.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-3 View Post
    Good post!
    Just tonight my wife asked me if I could only keep one of my many handguns, which would it be. I told her my DW Guardian in 38 Super. It just does amazing things in my hands. I could never part with it. For the record, my Beretta 92 Centurion was a close second.
    Yep, for me it's my Colt Super. Flat shooting, accurate enough, easy to shoot well offhand and other unusual positions. Mine is very reliable, especially with factory ammo. All of which is why I choose it for my favorite 2 gun shooting when conventional wisdom is a high cap with extended magazine 9mm.

Feedback Score
    Heck, I'm a old, high mileage guy. Shooting a smooth running 1911 is like spending a weekend with a older very experienced lover who want both people to have a memorable time, with no burps or hiccups !!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast