Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lordy I love the 1911

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    I jumped to 2011 in 9mm because I prefer capacity of rounds... 1911s I have are all 45ACP
    While I have a Colt O1992 9mm pistol, I almost ordered a Commander (already have one in .45) but ordered a new Browning High Power instead (to accompany the BHP I already have). Browning discontinued them before I even got it to the Range so it’ll stay NIB for now. Probably give it to my youngest daughter (the 1LT).

Feedback Score
    I'm torn... I really want a full size top tier 1911 in 9mm. My day of shooting .45 are over. It's just not fun anymore.

I'm really leaning towards a full size STI 2011 for capacity. It's not as nostalgic, but it's a heck of a lot more practical. A single stack Wilson or Nighthawk is a lot more sexy though. I can not afford both. I can only have one full size though... 1911 or 2011... Decisions, decisions.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    I'm torn... I really want a full size top tier 1911 in 9mm. My day of shooting .45 are over. It's just not fun anymore.

I'm really leaning towards a full size STI 2011 for capacity. It's not as nostalgic, but it's a heck of a lot more practical. A single stack Wilson or Nighthawk is a lot more sexy though. I can not afford both. I can only have one full size though... 1911 or 2011... Decisions, decisions.
    Well for the price of a new Wilson or NH, you could buy a gently used STI AND a Dan Wesson PM-9.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Wilson makes that , is it EDC double stack 1911esc gun. It fights the Stacatto fight. I went Stacatto but if you love Wilson, that is worth a peek.

I had one of my 1911’s milled for RDS, grabbed it this weekend and rocked it good. 1911 9mm is just very nice shooting experience.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Wilson makes that , is it EDC double stack 1911esc gun. It fights the Stacatto fight. I went Stacatto but if you love Wilson, that is worth a peek.
    Yeah, I did the same. I have a Stacatto C2 and love it. I'm looking for a full size "range gun" to round out the collection. Not that the C2 isn't a sweet shooter. I can make 25 yard groups with it like I've been shooting it for years. I like the Wilson EDC but like the C2 better. Time for a full size... And good point. Might as well buy something already milled for an RDS as I'm getting old.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    This probably didn't merit a post, but Lord I love the 1911. I know it has become trendy to sort of dismiss the 1911 as obsolete, but it is hard to dismiss a gun that shoots faster and is more accurately when shot at speed.
    Obsolescence is relative; my reaction to current cultural trends and the news of the day indicates that I am far more obsolete than the 1911. And the more obsolete I become, the more I appreciate and enjoy pistols like 9mm 1911's and Beretta 92s. The 9mm 1911 is the handgun that makes a session at a crappy range tolerable and one at a good range enjoyable. The 92 is the one that I probably should have concentrated on back when I was in my 40s.

I still believe a Glock 19 is the best all-purpose 9mm launching tool for a survival/last stand kit, but that doesn't make me want to spend any more time than I have to with one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theorangecat View Post
    Obsolescence is relative; my reaction to current cultural trends and the news of the day indicates that I am far more obsolete than the 1911. And the more obsolete I become, the more I appreciate and enjoy pistols like 9mm 1911's and Beretta 92s. The 9mm 1911 is the handgun that makes a session at a crappy range tolerable and one at a good range enjoyable. The 92 is the one that I probably should have concentrated on back when I was in my 40s.

I still believe a Glock 19 is the best all-purpose 9mm launching tool for a survival/last stand kit, but that doesn't make me want to spend any more time than I have to with one.
    I agree with your thought regarding the G19, probably the best all around SD pistol. Yet, I don't have one since I don't shoot Glocks well. The 92 is my favorite DA/SA auto and I've had a few, it's the only one I still have. In the kind of competitive shooting I do the easy shots are..... easy, but the hard shots are easier with a 1911.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

If you want full size, but are primarily interested in feel (grip diameter is still a bit part of it), just go single stack 9mm, keep it simple, and just set it up to run. I really only enjoy running 45 on mine because WMLs are just there in general, and that keeps things muted enough.

On the obsolescence argument - the 1911 is as obsolete as it's ever going to get... yet here we are. I think that says enough, the fact that we have the luxury of buying handguns that we know will be heirlooms that can last generations (and again the extreme luxury of foresight to know that's what we'd be buying if done right), it's one where I'm already kicking myself for not just getting a high end custom pretty one already before inflation starts to kick in properly.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I had a .45 ACP STI 2011 built in 2004. With an MBX 126mm magazine it holds 14 +1.

If you load it with 155 or 160-grain hand loads it's not much different than shooting a 9mm loaded with 147s / 158s.

Nobody HAS to shoot 230 Ball unless that's what you're issued.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    If you want full size, but are primarily interested in feel (grip diameter is still a bit part of it), just go single stack 9mm, keep it simple, and just set it up to run. I really only enjoy running 45 on mine because WMLs are just there in general, and that keeps things muted enough.
    On the obsolescence argument - the 1911 is as obsolete as it's ever going to get... yet here we are. I think that says enough, the fact that we have the luxury of buying handguns that we know will be heirlooms that can last generations (and again the extreme luxury of foresight to know that's what we'd be buying if done right), it's one where I'm already kicking myself for not just getting a high end custom pretty one already before inflation starts to kick in properly.
    Yeah, I'm holding off on buying that Nighthawk President because it will be nothing more than a range gun and safe queen to be ogled over. I don't have the funds to buy that and maintain a practical carry/defense inventory. I will not EDC a $5000 grail gun. I will get one when I retire instead of a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I had a .45 ACP STI 2011 built in 2004. With an MBX 126mm magazine it holds 14 +1.
    If you load it with 155 or 160-grain hand loads it's not much different than shooting a 9mm loaded with 147s / 158s.
    Nobody HAS to shoot 230 Ball unless that's what you're issued.
    Agreed, but just another caliber to F-with. I've already jumped in with both feet on the 9mm with the Stacatto purchases. Lightweight .45 is just a PITA to find, and I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get into reloading until well after my second retirement. For range, carry and home defense handguns I've transitioned all the way to .9mm and have a j-frame as a BUG. I'll be putting red-dots on the Stacattos and even my P365 this year. I'm going all in. At my age, unless they come out with that Star Trek phaser in the next ten years, this set up will probably hold me over until I get sent off to the folks home.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast