Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Share your 9mm 147 gr subsonic subgun recipe

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    That could be. The result is the same for reloading though.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    No it is so the can use less powder, take up volume inside the case, same pressure with less powder.
    Do you have a source for that? I'd think the additional brass cost and tooling to do this would not be worth shaving 2/10s grain off a load.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "My personal favorite is 3.6 gr VV N320 pushing the Hornady #3559 147 gr RN FMJ projectile. While it has pressures associated with +P ammo (as do all loads with small quantities of fast burning powder), it gives adequate velocity (950-1000 fps) and silences beautifully due to the low volume of gas produced by the small weight of powder burned.

There are other excellent fast burning powders, such as WW231 or even Bullseye. I like the VV powders, because they are relatively clean burning."

Philip H. Dater

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Personally, I use 3.5 grains WSF under 147 grain plated bullet for practice loads in my GHM9-k and Glocks. Unique, Bullseye, 231 and AA #2 will all give you nice moderate velocitie with middle-of-the-road loads. Unique will burn the dirtiest of the powders you've listed. AA #5 is a little more slow burning- I'd save that for higher velocities.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 04-12-22 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Do you have a source for that? I'd think the additional brass cost and tooling to do this would not be worth shaving 2/10s grain off a load.
    No I don't.

And I may be wrong I found this in my notes, but don't have a source .

"9mm brass made by forced extrusion rather than typical pressure drawing causes there to be that visible "ledge" about halfway down the case wall. It's just cheaper to make them using a forced extrusion method. You can experience the separation that looks like a cleanly cut case. This is less common in typical breech lock service pistols and more common in blow back designs such as the 9mm AR uppers. Freedom Munitions, Maxxtech, IMT, Ammoland - some of the ones that make these. Just one more thing to look for to cull out of your brass for reloads.
    It's not for bullet setback. The step is just an artifact from the manufacturing process.
    If you are using this brass in a PCC you run the risk of case separation, don't use it. It is cheap brass and prone to failure.
    It is my understanding that at least some of the manufacturers have stopped using this type of brass due to complaints of case failure in non-breech locking blowback weapons."

I know a few people who have blown up thiers guns or came close it.
    The brass above the step gets stuck in chamber when it blows up.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies - as always, I can always count on learning something when I ask a question here. The forced extrusion stepped brass was a new one for me.

Sounds like the N320 is the ticket. Been looking for an excuse to use it. My experience with other VV powders is that they run about as clean as it gets.

Ordered a pile of the RMR 147 FP's today.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 04-12-22 at 23:20.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    No I don't.

And I may be wrong I found this in my notes, but don't have a source .
    Cool. I'm not calling BS or anything. I just struck me as more likely a set back shelf as opposed to simply making a thicker web like you see in some 5.56 brass variations.

But none the less. it's something to be mindful of with big bullets like the 147. I definitely had problems from running that brass.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    This is very interesting. Has anyone had problems with this brass with lighter bullets like 115? Whats the best way to sort this brass out?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    This is very interesting. Has anyone had problems with this brass with lighter bullets like 115? Whats the best way to sort this brass out?
    Lighter, thus shorter, bullets work fine. You just have to look into the case mouths as you process the brass/reload it. You can see the shelf in there very easily.

Feedback Score
    Well this is news to me.

I've got 1k mixed 9mm brass and was only going to separate for crimped primers.

Plan was to deprime, remove crimp ring with pocket tool, then put in the "ready to load" bin.

I have coated 147 gr and lead 130 gr bullets.

Shouldn't fire them through my polygonal barrel HK so I was going to fire them from a CX4 and AP-5.

Now it sounds like I'm risking my guns with this combo of stepped-case's reloaded with 147 gr bullets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast