Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have the new LaRue/VTAC sling?

Feedback Score
    LaRue builds their rails with a "stop" in the swivel socket. This helps keep the sling from getting in a bind.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Monty!
    forgot about that and my one rail with the socket is in getting rebarreled, so no hands on to verify.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart
    Pat,

Thanks for your feedback, but I do have one question.

Are you seeing twisting being an issue with the dual swivel setup? Reason I ask is there's been a couple of threads over at LF about this type of setup in the last couple of months, discussing the merits of having swivels at both the front and rear mounting point positions. A couple of posters said that in practice, they didn't like it becasue the sling would twist and sometimes it was a pain to get into. Consequently they recommended to go with a fixed loop for the rear mounting point and a quick release swivel up front. They just felt it worked better that way.

Your thoughts?

I have seen some twisting issues when two swivels are used. I mount the front of the sling in either the LT provided slot in the rail or a MI #6 and a DD/VLTOR receiver plate. This config has seemed to cure twisting issues.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrubbs
    LaRue builds their rails with a "stop" in the swivel socket. This helps keep the sling from getting in a bind.
    Yep, for folks with older LT rails (like me) or another brand can use the MI #6 (which doesn't swivel).

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Poston
    Grant,

An honest opinion from a dealer ! Now thats cool.

I try and be honest as possible (even if it means getting a letter from a companies lawyer).

To back up what Pat has said, there are a lot SOF users of the VT sling. I recently sold some to USAF Pararescue so I know they are out there.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 11-19-06 at 12:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    I have seen some twisting issues when two swivels are used. I mount the front of the sling in either the LT provided slot in the rail or a MI #6 and a DD/VLTOR receiver plate. This config has seemed to cure twisting issues.

C4
    That's what I saw, Burnseed Loop receiver endplate being used as the rear attachment point. Some folks used a short stub with QR fastex buckle there with a swivel front or they used fastex buckles at both points. They seemed to like the buckle at the rear because it lengthed the sling enough to place the sling adjuster at a more comfortable position. I guess without it you had to reach around behind the back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat_Rogers

Akoni- making decisions without having used or even touched something means you are basing usefulness on appearance. That is not a good thing, no matter if you are referring to women of guns and related equipment. You have an opinion, but it is based on- nothing.
    I did not make any comments regarding the utility or quality of this product. I did not imply that I have used one. Did my comment add to the body of knowledge with regards to this product? No. Is my opinion based on nothing? No, unless intuition, intelligence and preferece are to be considered "nothing".

V/R,
    Anthony

ps. See you in a month.

Feedback Score
    Looking forward to FL!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat_Rogers
    Contrary to some posts, the pad has always been an option with the VTAC sling. Like it or not, many do and many don't.
    Mojo- unsure as to what you consider lightweight or heavy, but the sling was made with gunfighter's in mind. That means mission essential equipment will be present. Day and night optics, red lights, IR illuminators and laser aiming dots, M203's etc.
    In other words, the user community has a requirement that is significantly different from hobby shooters.
    I wasn't criticizing the VTAC. I'm only stating my personal preference. As for the pad, it was my understanding from the literature on Kyle's website that it was originally designed for the heavier rifles:
    The Viking Tactics, Inc. wide padded sling was developed after listening to feedback from our customers. Customers with heavier firearms wanted a wider, more comfortable sling with the same great features of the original Viking Tactics, Inc. sling.

The Viking Tactics wide sling is made with a shoulder strap with closed cell foam for increased comfort. The forward adjustable portion of the sling remains the same as the original sling, giving you quick, easy adjustments from any position.
    I'd gladly purchase another standard width VTAC sling (not just because they're simple to use and they work but also because their customer service is outstanding).

With all the talk of this Vickers sling being an improvement on the Viking Tactics, I just had to check it out.
    "Most standards are set low to accomodate the bottom feeders of life who lack the personal pride, motivation and determination to rise above the rest." - Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Understood Mojo. Weight is subjective of course, but 10 lbs of lightweight rifle is still a pain to carry for any amount of time. The sling was of course originally designed for M4 types, and conversations led me to understand that it was directed to a mission capable M4 type.
    Whatever, i like the sling (subjectively) and consider it to be a very useful 2 point sling.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast