Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Here Really Breaks Bolts?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Who Here Really Breaks Bolts?

TLDR is in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Bill G:“Military guys tell me their bolts are breaking, they’re only lasting 2,000-3,000 rounds (of the new high-pressure M855A1 ammo)”
    [QUOTE=TMS951;3025678]Absolutely they intend to serialize AR bolts. Honestly quite genius as the bolt is really the Achilles heel of the weapon. They have now made an 80$ fix of a broken bolt replacement need to have an FFl transfer. *SNIP*[QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    *SNIP*
    An AR barrel probably lasts easily twice that of a bolt. Especially with a short gas system. *SNIP*
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Well if bolts will need to be serialized I guess we better buy good ones that don’t break. Maybe this will be the impetus to improve the AR bolt.
    I’ve noticed in a couple threads here where people are concerned about bolt life. I’m not interested in debating average life or what the best brand is. I’m also uninterested in “I know a dude that said his cousin in the Unit broke a bolt once.” Just “yeah, I broke one a few years ago; it was a Colt, estimated round count was xx,xxx rounds; ammo used was 262”. Personal experience or direct observation only, please.

To be clear, I’m not mocking anyone’s concern over the potential to break a bolt. I’m just curious about others’ experiences.

I’ll start: Last time I broke a bolt was several years ago, M855, unknown round count, factory Colt M4a1.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have only broken one bolt myself, but it was a PWS piston gun in 300 blk. Sheared two lugs and destroyed the barrel extension. PWS was awesome and replaced all the parts for free, but it was sub 2000 rounds, suppressed about 99% of the time. I have never broken a DI bolt before, but I also don't get to the round counts many of you do.

Sent from my EC211001 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've only broken one, but it was a defective aftermarket piece of shit with metal embrittlement from NiB finishing. Real bolts? Nah.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I saw 2-3 on our department guns when I was doing inventory a few years ago. They were all broken where the cam pin goes through. We have M4s and M16s with the happy switch blocked, so the only full auto would be minor. Almost all are Colt. I am not sure of the round count, but our qualification is 30 rounds per shooter, per year, with 24 shooters on the line, and probably 1000 people qualifying per year, plus requals. One armorer said he hasn't seen but a few more than that broken, and most of the guns have been here longer than him. I have been here 12 years and he has more time in than I do.

ETA: Our SWAT guys guns would see a different usage schedule. They are not in the rotation with the qualification guns.
    Last edited by john armond; 04-12-22 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Zero to date, but I have several Carbines I use and I’m no Tier 1 guy.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=1168;3025833]TLDR is in the title.

[QUOTE=TMS951;3025678]Absolutely they intend to serialize AR bolts. Honestly quite genius as the bolt is really the Achilles heel of the weapon. They have now made an 80$ fix of a broken bolt replacement need to have an FFl transfer. *SNIP*

I’ve noticed in a couple threads here where people are concerned about bolt life. I’m not interested in debating average life or what the best brand is. I’m also uninterested in “I know a dude that said his cousin in the Unit broke a bolt once.” Just “yeah, I broke one a few years ago; it was a Colt, estimated round count was xx,xxx rounds; ammo used was 262”. Personal experience or direct observation only, please.

To be clear, I’m not mocking anyone’s concern over the potential to break a bolt. I’m just curious about others’ experiences.

I’ll start: Last time I broke a bolt was several years ago, M855, unknown round count, factory Colt M4a1.
    I broke one puttin in a water pump once.....
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    9 years in the Marine Corps and shooting outside the mil for almost 20 and I’ve never seen a broken bolt in person. I’ve replaced a shot out barrel and a worn out complete upper on my primary LMT carbine although I’ve replaced the bolts at the same time with new LMT pieces.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have snapped an Aero bolt in the usual spot (cam pin hole) after 1000-ish rounds of a mixture of M193, Tula, Wolf Gold, etc.

I have snapped the extractor claw on a 10.5 gun after well under 1000 rounds (best guess right now would be 500-600, but it was a long time ago). Bolt was completely unmarked except for “MPI 9310”…no idea who made it.

None of my real bolts have broken (BCM/SOLGW Microbest bolts, and a few Colts)
    -

Evey -- Are you like a...crazy person?
    V -- I'm quite sure they will say so.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not sure about the universe" -- Einstein

Feedback Score
    Not yet, but I have spares for everything. Sometimes the spares turn into another rifle, requiring more spares.

Feedback Score
    I had a bolt break where the cam pin hole is. It was an issued Colt M4 and if memory serves may have had approximately 10-15k rounds through it. Saw a bolt lug break off (issued Colt) one but it didn't seem to affect function as it was found during a post range cleaning session. Quite rare and I saw a LOT of rounds fired.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast