Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Here Really Breaks Bolts?

Feedback Score
    Haven’t broken one yet. Most of my rounds are on issued M16A2 and M16A4 rifles since USMC adopted shorter M4’s and M27’s after I got out. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of bolt failures being a common n occurrence with rifle length gas systems.

None of my personal M4/AR types have had any bolt breakages. Colt M4A1 SOCOM II, carbine length gas no issues. Daniel Defense V7 Pro, rifle length gas no issues. Knights Armament SR-15 no issues (also not a standard bolt). Lastly a Frankenstein CMMG pile of crap with a mystery bolt, has had extraction failures but no breakage.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I broke one that was on an Colt M4 with @ 10,000 rounds , very little was full auto. Since then I've kept an accurate round count. This was a duty gun that started life as an M16A1, and was converted to an M4.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Never broken one, or seen one break.

I shoot a lot of local matches so I probably see a couple thousand rounds a weekend get shot.

Also I have two PSA bolts that are past 5k rounds. fwiw
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Since I’m quoted here I feel a certain need to reply. I have two points.

First, people are in fact replying with having broken bolts. It’s a real thing. How about other guns? SCAR, AK, Sig 550, G3? Are people breaking bolts, or ‘breach faces’.

I’d wager not as many. I’d bet those guns over all evenly kind of war out. Or the barrel does. But I’m an AR a bolt can break leaving a gun useless. That gun could otherwise only be 50% worn out.

Nope. It’s an AR thing in guns with a strong gas impulse.

Second, if it wasn’t an issue companies like KAC, LMT, Geissele and others would not be seeking a stronger bolt. It’s basically accepted the Achilles heal of the AR is the bolt. If is was something else, companies would focus on that something else.

Owning a second bolt is a quick fix to keeping your AR up and running.

I’ve also never broken a bolt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only bolts I've ever seen broken were on LEOSA rifles with who knows how many rounds through them. And that is a sum total of two, both were lugs by the extractor.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Personally never broken one, but I did see one break off a lug on a buddies while we were shooting some steel. The whole bcg was of questionable origin, and never really ran consistently before it broke.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IALoder View Post
    Personally never broken one, but I did see one break off a lug on a buddies while we were shooting some steel. The whole bcg was of questionable origin, and never really ran consistently before it broke.
    That seem to be a theme. Garbage bolts break in significantly greater numbers than legit bolts.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    [QUOTE=1168;3025833]TLDR is in the title.

[QUOTE=TMS951;3025678]Absolutely they intend to serialize AR bolts. Honestly quite genius as the bolt is really the Achilles heel of the weapon. They have now made an 80$ fix of a broken bolt replacement need to have an FFl transfer. *SNIP*

I’ve noticed in a couple threads here where people are concerned about bolt life. I’m not interested in debating average life or what the best brand is. I’m also uninterested in “I know a dude that said his cousin in the Unit broke a bolt once.” Just “yeah, I broke one a few years ago; it was a Colt, estimated round count was xx,xxx rounds; ammo used was 262”. Personal experience or direct observation only, please.

To be clear, I’m not mocking anyone’s concern over the potential to break a bolt. I’m just curious about others’ experiences.

I’ll start: Last time I broke a bolt was several years ago, M855, unknown round count, factory Colt M4a1.
    I have seen 7 bolts break. All of the Colt and all of them with less then 500 rounds through them. Used in a MK18 and using MK262. This was during PMTs and on two separate teams.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    [QUOTE=docsherm;3026297][QUOTE=1168;3025833]TLDR is in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Absolutely they intend to serialize AR bolts. Honestly quite genius as the bolt is really the Achilles heel of the weapon. They have now made an 80$ fix of a broken bolt replacement need to have an FFl transfer. *SNIP*

I have seen 7 bolts break. All of the Colt and all of them with less then 500 rounds through them. Used in a MK18 and using MK262. This was during PMTs and on two separate teams.
    Was this prior to the redesign of the Mk 262?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I've never broken a bolt, but I have six spare Colt bolts just in case I do.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast