Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meprolight Micro RDS update?

Feedback Score

Meprolight Micro RDS update?

Talking about the Meprolight RDS with QD rear sight mounted proprietary rail.

Came out about 2019. How are they working out?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

I ordered one (complete kit) for my P30sk.

Wanted to change the sights anyway and always intended to mount a RDS on it. Didnt care for the shape of the rear.

Will either have to mod my holster a little or alot.

I'll report back.

Feedback Score
    I've got it mounted. Did it myself with brass tools. Leaves a few brass marks. Don't care.

Setting up the optic / sights requires a couple tools they do not provide.

A small socket or wrench of about 5.5 or 6mm to adjust the QD tension nut. I had a socket that seemed to be the right size (and now I forget what it was) but the wall of the socket contacted the body of the optic in a way that it could seat over the nut enough to use. I ended up using a strong pair of tweezers.

There is a tension screw for the rear sight but I'm not sure why it's required. The factory rear sight doesn't have one. The old and new rear sights are snugly in the dovetails. So why a set / tension screw? The set screw is a tiny, tiny allen head. I had something close enough to screw it down but not to get it snug let alone tight. Will this matter? I dunno. Meprolight shoud have included a proper allen wrench.

The quick detach screw can be finely adjusted to set tension. There isn't a description for what that tension should be. It started with "it isn't going to go" and I'm sure someone will break theirs trying. I backed off the screw and it went to "optic is loose". So I tightened up to "I don't think the lever is going to break but it's pretty darn tight." I put a drop of oil it. I'm not sure if the parts associated with the QD feature are alluminum or steel. I'll check that with a magnet. But I believe they are steel.

The optic itself seems quality. The 3 moa dot is pretty crips at lower levels. I have astigmatism that affects me with dots. This one give me the "cluster of grapes" effect at 7/10, which is where I like the setting (There are 10 settings) so far. It's easily visible at 7/10 against a bright blue sky / clouds but not too intense in very low light. And plenty visible in low light while using a bright flashlight. Certainly bright / intense enough. (The intensity level stays where you set it)

The instructions say the optic turns itself off after 8.5 hrs if the Brighter / On or Less Bright / Off buttons have not been pressed and there has been no motion detected. The buttons are on the left side and easy to use.

I turned the optic off manually last night to see if it would turn itself on with motion in the morning. It does not. Manually turn it off and it stays off. (not in the manual)

Tonight I'll let it turn itself off and pick it up in the morning make sure the motion fires it up.

The distance between the center of the bore and the center of the glass is 1 and 3/16 inches. I asked a question about zeroing this high mount height in another thread in the semi-auto forum. (25 yd zero? 50?) The only other RDS I have on a handgun is on a Vz-61 and I think it's even higher. It doesn't seem to matter how high they are as far as speed in picking up your dot. It's not like you have a cheek weld to worry about. It's just of matter of getting used to it, just like one does with irons.

The sights themselves (tritium) are very close to the factory sights. The rear basically the same, the front slightly narrower. I'm guessing it's about .130. I'll have to check with a caliper if anyone wants to know for sure. I actually prefer the slightly wider factory sight I've painted. Its color picks up really fast. Debating whether to even use the Tritium front sight and just covering the rears.

The sights are not visible at all through the optic. Good and bad there. But the mount is as it says, quick detach.

The rear sight, without the optic, has enough perch to rack the slide on a belt, etc. should one need to.

So far a fair value for $350. Tritium sights, a mount, and an optic. But I've yet to shoot / zero it and they should have included a little hex wrench and wrench for the tiny adjustment nut. Next step is to set zero and see if the thing holds zero, doesn't quit, and doesn't fly off the gun into my face.
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-17-22 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    What the hell?

This Meprolight Microdot optic does NOT "shake awake".

It shuts itself after 8.5 hrs if no buttons are pushed and there is no movement. (which is the manual)

So this morning I see it has turned itself off but will NOT turn itself on with motion.

Basically it's a gen 1 red dot NOT appropriate for self defense.

Damn. I need to find out what style base the QD mount accepts and buy another optic.

Ever watch Price is Right?

"Do-do, da-doo, waaaahhh..."
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-18-22 at 10:17.

Feedback Score
    This is the footprint.

Anyone know what pattern this is?

I need to buy some other RDS that will work on the mount I have attached to the gun.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/blog/mep...rds-footprint/

The answer is at this website. Sort of like Doctor Optic pattern but screw location is unique.

Damn. Who would have thought a a red dot intended for pistols by a company whose sights ride on thousands of LE guns new for 2017 or whatever would not shake awake?

Not me, apparently. Too bad I've already mounted the sights on my gun. I suppose calling / emailing them is worth a try
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-18-22 at 11:12.

Feedback Score
    Some good news.

I called Meprolight and the nice fella said he'd send me an a "universal" adapter plate so I can mount the optic of my choice to the mount.

So while I can least use the system after on my pistol after buying another optic I also have a useless optic I essentially paid $200 for.

Feedback Score
    There is one last hope for this optic.

The manual says it turns itself off after 8.5 hours if you don't press a button or "with no movement".

So the claim is that it has a mechanism to detect movement. I've already tested that it turns itself off. Next I'm going to see if turns itself at 8.5 hrs after movement and if that movement starts the 8.5 hour clock over again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    There is one last hope for this optic.

The manual says it turns itself off after 8.5 hours if you don't press a button or "with no movement".

So the claim is that it has a mechanism to detect movement. I've already tested that it turns itself off. Next I'm going to see if turns itself at 8.5 hrs after movement and if that movement starts the 8.5 hour clock over again.
    Despite what the manual says the optic turns itself off in 8.5 hours regardless of "movement". Pressing either button turns it back on.

So just press a button every 8 hours and your sight will be ready for action.

Feedback Score
    And while firing with the optic, despite being tight in the dovetail and using the set screw, the sight assembly worked itself far to the left.

This thing is complete bust. Going to try and get a refund or credit from Meprolight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast