Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 PRC.....what are your thoughts?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Freedom isn’t free. Err, I meant velocity isn’t free.

To be fair I expect that number is more from the hyper competitive. They toss a barrel at the first sign of accuracy slipping. Depending on your shooting needs/style you may get a good bit more useful life.

If you shoot a lot it makes sense to pay upfront for a switch barrel type setup and not pay more than the barrel cost for each replacement.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Freedom isn’t free. Err, I meant velocity isn’t free.

To be fair I expect that number is more from the hyper competitive. They toss a barrel at the first sign of accuracy slipping. Depending on your shooting needs/style you may get a good bit more useful life.

If you shoot a lot it makes sense to pay upfront for a switch barrel type setup and not pay more than the barrel cost for each replacement.
    This is very true, these guys toss a barrel when they lose .25 MAO. As long as my barrels shoot MAO, they stay in the stable.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I hope you can buy components. I have a friend who is getting into the 6.5 world, and he is going PRC over the CM. He is having trouble with locating brass. I chose the CM because I found a load of Lapua brass...expensive but I could find it. Every now and then, I encounter people who leave CM brass on the range after shooting. I often wonder where all that brass goes and if someone could make a deal with their local range to go through their collected brass.

On a different note I was at the range the other day, and a guy was shooting a 300 PRC. He just left his brass on the range after shooting as he was packing up. I asked him if he was going to pick up his brass, and he said, "Nah...you can have it." It's like a $1.50 per piece. If I can figure out when he is at the range or make a deal with the range master, in about 10 trips I might be justified to get into the 300 PRC.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have 2 rifles in 6.5PRC. As far as components go for reloading go to as many sites as possible and put your name on the notification lists for powders, brass, primers and bullets. Over the last year or so I've been able to get H1000, Retumbo and N565. RL26 has been harder to find. Just this last couple of weeks I've gotten 500 pieces of Lapua brass. I have more than enough primers so I'm fine there also. Factory ammo is also rare. When it does show up I hop on it. As far as hunting is concerned I've killed multiple deer with it and will be elk hunting in 2023 with it. Barrel life they say is 1500 - 2000 rounds depending upon how hot the ammo is. I've put close to 500 rounds down range so far on one rifle. The other is being built and will be here soon. I've also shot fairly frequently out to 1000 yards and have no problems. One thing I would say is that the Hornady ammo at short ranges doesn't perform well. Moving too fast for the bullet construction. Longer distances, 250 or greater they perform very well. Overall I really like the round and at this point it's versatility is hard to beat. Hopefully ammunition and components start becoming more common.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What Hornady bullet are you using? The 143 or 147? & if both which did you find better? I only have the 147gr, in factory ammo to "break in" the barrel once I'm done building. I was able to find some 147 bullets. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mildot; 05-10-22 at 11:53.

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Surprisingly the 143gr ELDX was more accurate than the 147gr ELDM for me. Below is a pic of the 143gr. Its only a 3 shot group but this rifle shoots like this pretty much all the time. I'm jsut starting to set up my reloading bench and hopefully I will soon be able to duplicate these groups with my own stuff. The 147gr still shot well but comes in a bit under .75" in my rifle. One thing I did notice was that after about 150 rounds my velocity jumped up almost 200fps. The 143gr was only averaging 2850fps +/- and then it jumped to over 3000fps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 05-10-22 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice group, I'm getting ready to start reloading and just need to source some powder, I will try the 143gr, I just couldn't find any. Thanks

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've been able to get some Berger 156 EOL bullets fairly regularly. That is what I have switched to. A while back I sent Unknown Munitions a 100 cases of ADG Brass and 100 156EOL bullets to load for me. It cut the price about in half of what they sell loaded ammunition for. They shoot as well as the 143 ELDx for me. I have the same powder, N565, that they used to load it up and am going to match their load.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just curious & without going into a "deep dive" on your reloading, what chrono do you use? and what were your SD & ES values? or what worked for you? (powder type). Thanks

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I haven't started reloading myself yet. That is why I had Unknown Munitions load up the 156 EOL for me. Although I have pieced together everything I will need to do so. Just starting to set it all up. As far as a chrono I am using a MagnetoSpeed V3. I was looking for a Labradar but they are also about impossible to find. All of the reading I have done concerning which powders to use it seems as if RL26 is the most versatile powder. N565 pops up a lot when people are using the 156EOL bullets. Same with H1000. Then Retumbo. Although Retumbo is also as difficult to get as RL26. Over the last year I've been able to get a good bit of the 156EOL's. I haven't gotten any of the 143's or 147's. They have shown up here and there but since I have been concentrating on the 156's I haven't worried about them. In the next couple of months I'll start loading up some ammo and see what I can come up with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast