Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ithaca 37

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLIAR15 View Post
    What’s with the lime green and red furniture ?
    I'm guessing they are for "Less lethal" munitions.

Many LE departments do it to prevent grabbing the wrong one, when on scene.

I could be wrong though, maybe there is a following for bright colored shotguns.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Probably for LL rounds.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Yep. My first issued shotgun at the PD was a parkerized Ithaca 37 just like OP’s. I was unaware of the slam-fire “feature” it had and during my first qualification I sent a load of buckshot over the target. That gun was tough as nails and fun to shoot.
    I was the opposite, I grew up shooting a Winchester Model 12 and the first time I picked up another pump (Mossberg 500) I thought it was broken but it just had a disconnector.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    Yes, the early ones would do that. If not mistaken, those barrels would not exchange, but when they changed the interrupted thread on the barrel trunnion to be exchangeable, they also added the disconnector.

As a lefty, and waterfowl hunter, I liked the bottom ejection, when coupled with an installed left-handed safety.

Solid shotgun platforms! I recall the old Ithaca ads, showing how just the receiver itself was machined out of solid 6-pound block of steel, with over 100 machining operations.
    They were renamed it Ithaca Model 87 but I think it was changed back to 37.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Yup. They were for less lethal beanbag rounds when the 870s showed up. There are a bunch of folding stock motor cop ones too. All the nice wood stocked ones got snapped up quick when they started selling them off. I got an almost unfired one with a decent unpainted forend and beat up choate plastic stock. I ordered a wood Boyds stock and replicated my old patrol tube from the 90s.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Usually installed on shotguns that are used for less-lethal ammo (like beanbag rounds).

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yup. They were for less lethal beanbag rounds when the 870s showed up. There are a bunch of folding stock motor cop ones too. All the nice wood stocked ones got snapped up quick when they started selling them off. I got an almost unfired one with a decent unpainted forend and beat up choate plastic stock. I ordered a wood Boyds stock and replicated my old patrol tube from the 90s.

Dennis.

^^^I want one of those with rifle sights.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    ^^^I want one of those with rifle sights.
    Back in the late 90s you were lucky to find an Ithaca with intact rifle sights in the kit room. Like small lottery win lucky... I tried to hide one for myself but that didn't last long. I finally gave up and was happy for an intact bead.

Luckily I get to run a Benelli M4/T2 now!

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    I purchased a new one around 74-75 for $149, it will still fire as fast as I can rack it. Ithaca says barrels/guns made before #855,000 1963 did not have interchangeable barrels. They added the disconnect in 1975.
    Last edited by constructor; 02-09-23 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I still have a beater 37 I keep at Ranch, as it won't break my heart if it gets stolen. Shooting slugs or 00Buck is an adventure- with the "lotta drop, old school, stock".
    It is a reliable old dog.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast