Thread: Got my first AK

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Got my first AK

Just picked up my first AK. A Romy G built on an ITM receiver. The kit is from 1980 best I can figure, need to get it out to the range still. The only issue I have is the previous owner put a havy UTG railed hand guard on it and CAA colapsible stock on it. I want to change both, should I look for some old G wood furniture or some newer polymer stuff. So what say ye, keep it classic or tasteful modern upgrades?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is a bunch of Romy wood out there now - seems high to me - but Arms of America has nice laminate Polish would also. Anything is better than old UTG/CAA junk.

Feedback Score
    Some people try to make AK's in to AR15's. I personally like to keep mine looking original. I'd go with a set of original furniture which should also be your least expensive option. The Romy G wood at one point was almost throw away cheap. It's gone up, but will still be less than a good quality polymer stock set.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I more or less second Bret. (although I've also gone the other way hopefully within what an Ak should be). I do like the LOOK of the Pestilence and function. If you do want to 'keep the look' and want to add considerable capability easily - the Ultimak is still the way to go - especially with no side rail. I personally would cut down the dong to a shark fin.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah I have found some Romy wood but it's all been beat to hell and still at almost 200 bones for a set. My alternate thought was a polymer stock set and a Ultimak rail

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes - people are selling trashed wood for gold. IF you like wood - this is the deal:

https://armsofamerica.com/WBP-polish...ood-stock-set/

Should fit with minor problems.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    Yes - people are selling trashed wood for gold. IF you like wood - this is the deal:

https://armsofamerica.com/WBP-polish...ood-stock-set/

Should fit with minor problems.
    Yeah I was looking there to get a polymer set or wood, I keep going back and forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I had a Hogue polymer set that wasn't bad at all for the price. And it was great at holding the heat back. It come as stock on my AK from the manufacture. I replaced it for other M-lok handguards. If you want poly surplus furniture, they are out there but they are pricy. https://www.k-var.com/stock-set-4-pi...tstock-arsenal

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/H...44&viewAll=yes
    Last edited by zack991; 04-14-22 at 11:28.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A woodworker buddy of mine stripped & refinshed my Romy wood stocks along with a whole bunch of Combloc guns from guys that belong to a few of the gun clubs and ranges. Looks great and now is definitely sealed up better than from factory but it’s still wood! Not going to sit outside in a t-storm and shoot but for what I use it it’s fine for me. Really zero wrong with the wood stocked guns if you know how to maintain them and are properly sealed against elements. He said some of the Combloc guns wood stocks are really nice once given some TLC. FWIW, he’s also refinished US Mil Surplus rifle stocks and says they are really nice if given TLC but US stocks are better sealed Against elements direct from factorythen Combloc ones. Laminate wood has always looked nice on AKs if that’s your thing. Me I picked up an extra Romy stock set a while ago as I kinda guessed they’d eventually get more expensive.