Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Even Known Good Companies Can Produce Garbage

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I am curious. Why would you enlarge the gas port size before assembling and shooting the weapon?
    THIS.

The proper port size is not determined by barrel length alone.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    THIS.

The proper port size is not determined by barrel length alone.
    But there is known port sizes for given lengths and gas systems. It's not like manufacturers custom tune every port for every barrel.

Every Colt M4 port is the SAME SIZE. They don't test fire it and tear it down to give it a little more umph.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Hand drill? Lmao this is why I'd never buy a home build.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’d be shocked had it run before modification. That sounds way outa range for a unsuppressed middy. Would have liked to see it, though.

OP, next time chuck it on the EE with full disclosure.

@Clint , you have any thoughts?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Because .061 wasn’t close to fitting, so that port was probably .057ish and I saw no good reason to assemble it in that state.

No way it would have cycled properly at that size.
    Roger that. I am of the opinion that you won't know for certain if the weapon will cycle unless you try.

It is easier to remove material than to replace it. If for no other reason, I would have tried shooting the weapon with the smaller gas port and collected data about failures and successful operation for a variety of cartridges with varying bullet weights. You can always open the gas port up later, but find it difficult to make it smaller if you went too far.

Charts are for reference, results are for finality.

Let us know how this turns out with ammunition in the 55 g to 77g range and if you feel the weapon is overgassed or properly gassed.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Even Known Good Companies Can Produce Garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Hand drill? Lmao this is why I'd never buy a home build.
    You want to see video of the gas port from the bore side?

I wouldn’t sell you anything regardless.

You can be an asshole, just try not to be a SMUG asshole in my thread. You add no value here. Punk.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 04-15-22 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Roger that. I am of the opinion that you won't know for certain if the weapon will cycle unless you try.

It is easier to remove material than to replace it. If for no other reason, I would have tried shooting the weapon with the smaller gas port and collected data about failures and successful operation for a variety of cartridges with varying bullet weights. You can always open the gas port up later, but find it difficult to make it smaller if you went too far.

Charts are for reference, results are for finality.

Let us know how this turns out with ammunition in the 55 g to 77g range and if you feel the weapon is overgassed or properly gassed.
    I don’t necessarily disagree with you.

However I was in the process of assembling and figured I would try to put it together right the first time and I don’t think I went too far with the port size, even though I can’t reverse it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you ever have to drill another port, put a cleaning rod in the bore and drill away.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    If you ever have to drill another port, put a cleaning rod in the bore and drill away.
    Good tip, thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    You want to see video of the gas port from the bore side?

I wouldn’t sell you anything regardless.

You can be an asshole, just try not to be a SMUG asshole in my thread. You add no value here. Punk.
    Your thread? What, you own M4C.net now? You STARTED a thread where you admitted to doing some rather stupid things to an otherwise factory barrel. Can't take the criticism don't post your story for all to read.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast