Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in Aero Precision

Feedback Score

Disappointed in Aero Precision

Bought one of their Ultralight 30mm Extended mounts for an LPVO. Got to the range to sight the optic in and before I got done, I noticed the mount broke. Is this normal? I thought Aero generally made pretty good quality stuff, but this doesn’t seem much better than the cheap Chinese stuff. Are they rebranded some Chinese mount and trying to pass it off as Aero? I’m pretty disappointed. Definitely not something I’d trust my life with.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    This is a not-uncommon way for the Aero Ultralight mount to break, so it does not indicate counterfeit. I do know people that are very happy with theirs, though.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if the alignment was slightly off or out of spec that cause stress when torquing the screws down.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    I wonder if the alignment was slightly off or out of spec that cause stress when torquing the screws down.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    It’s a pretty simple design. The top that broke is like a hook design. So you hook the top and the bottom swings down to thread the screws. I don’t see how it’s possible to be misaligned. It’s either hooked or it’s not. Now I can see how that would be possible if I was trying to mount a 34mm optic in a 30mm mount, but that was definitely not the case here.

Here’s the front that was fine.

Here’s the back that broke.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A couple things come to mind. First, this looks like an inherently flimsy design, and certainly nothing I would use on a weapon that my life might depend on. Second, did you use a torque wrench when tightening the screws? It's possible you overtorqued them, or that it was a bad part as you suggested.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    A couple things come to mind. First, this looks like an inherently flimsy design, and certainly nothing I would use on a weapon that my life might depend on. Second, did you use a torque wrench when tightening the screws? It's possible you overtorqued them, or that it was a bad part as you suggested.
    Yeah, I always use a torque driver on my scope mounts. Never had an issue before. Looks like just crap aluminum to me. This is the first Aero mount I’ve ever bought. Won’t be buying another.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    Yeah, I always use a torque driver on my scope mounts.
    Ah, okay. That narrows it down.
    Never had an issue before. Looks like just crap aluminum to me. This is the first Aero mount I’ve ever bought. Won’t be buying another.
    I don't blame you one bit. I'd get them to replace it under warranty and then sell it.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Ah, okay. That narrows it down. I don't blame you one bit. I'd get them to replace it under warranty and then sell it.
    I contacted them through their website and offered to send photos. Hopefully they make it right. I’d expect better for a $100 mount.

Feedback Score
    What is the torque range?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    What is the torque range?
    I don’t remember offhand, but I’m thinking 15-20 in lbs. I want to say the ring portion is 15 and the base portion is 20-25.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast