Thread: Best Mid-tier Rucksacks?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Best Mid-tier Rucksacks?

Hello all, hopefully, this hasn't been asked a million times before, but what do folks recommend for a mid-tier, semi-budget (under $300) rucksack for both prepping (bug out bag, of course) and physical fitness (weekly hikes)?

Backstory: Many years Army infantry, very experienced with the ALICE and MOLLE rucksacks, but only minimal experience with civilian packs. I currently have a Medium ALICE, CamelBak Tri-Zip, and USMC ILBE pack. The ALICE pack feels good but is too small and accessorization is limited. The ILBE is too big, and very floppy (better than, but similar to a Large MOLLE ruck in my opinion). The Tri-Zip is what I've been using, but it feels too small, and I'm not a huge fan of how the internal frame feels.

What I'm looking at: What comes to mind are mid-tier, sub-$300 rucksacks that seem to be available, namely the Army's Medium MOLLE rucksack (I have some experience, mostly positive, with it) and the surplus Mystery Ranch Thor III pack. (no experience, seems good quality, but not quite what I need) Don't want my limited experience with packs to color my decision though, so I'm open to other options within this price range. Bonus points if your recommendation comes in MultiCam or Coyote Brown.

So, what says the M4 Carbine hivemind?
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    The USMC ILBE is a great pack besides the pattern.
    The internal frame works well and they can take a beating.

I've seen surplus in decent condition for $150 ish.

https://theprepared.com/blog/review-...nes-ilbe-pack/

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    The USMC ILBE is a great pack besides the pattern.
    The internal frame works well and they can take a beating.

I've seen surplus in decent condition for $150 ish.
    Agreed, its a great pack, it does everything well especially for the money
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Eberlestock Halftrack.

I'm ASSuming you're active duty. They, along with Mystery Ranch, have a pretty solid MIL discount program.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The brown Marine FILBE is large and configurable. While it will handle cubes / space you don't have to pack it to the gills.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Goruck
    Mystery Ranch
    Eberlestock
    Kelty MAP series

Feedback Score
    Not necessarily “rucksacks” but also look at Osprey and Arc’teryx. Osprey makes some very nice lightweight packs. Check out an REI if you have one nearby.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you want to use the Molle iv frame look at wilderness specialties for a suspension.

I'd suggest a mystery ranch guide light frame/suspension and whatever bag you need. Be it the beartooth 80, mule, whatever.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Crossfire?