Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do people have against A2 irons?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Most rifle and carbine owners will never remotely shoot to the weapon's capability, so a few features are extra / extraneous.

If the monkey doesn't use, or doesn't understand the capabilities of the weapon off-the-rack, that feature is useless and excess.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Get your zero on a no wind day and simply mark it with a paint pencil. That way you can make windage changes and come back to zero.
    This is it. Had an instructor advise this, and I've done it ever since.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Most rifle and carbine owners will never remotely shoot to the weapon's capability, so a few features are extra / extraneous.

If the monkey doesn't use, or doesn't understand the capabilities of the weapon off-the-rack, that feature is useless and excess.
    I'm spoiled because the bulk of my shooting is between 150 - 500 yards, and I don't do a ton of rifle shooting up close. That's probably the perfect envelope for the transition from the 0-200 aperture and the 300m aperture, and without being able to dial the rear sight hitting at 500 is just luck. If I only shot CQB or on a 100 yard range, I probably wouldn't appreciate the A2 system.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    The A2 sights are really great and there are no durability issues with them that I'm aware of. The only downside to them is that they are easily adjustable, with the windage knob being the main gripe.

I do like A1 rear sights because once they are set they can't be adjusted without something to depress the detent and they are perfectly fine for the distance I'd likely be willing to shoot iron sights, which is inside of 200 yards for the most part.

I can remember an overzealous turret gunner standing on mine and "helping" the sights out by more than a little. Ahhhh memories.....
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I can remember an overzealous turret gunner standing on mine and "helping" the sights out by more than a little. Ahhhh memories.....
    Now that will do it. It's not something I imagined might happen, but that just proves that my imagination isn't that great.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A lot of people are afraid to touch the A2 sights after the weapon is zeroed. They need to get over that and learn to understand and use the sights to their full advantage. Log your data and sight changes each and every time you go to the range. You can put a piece of tape with your base zero somewhere on your weapon or someplace on your gear for reference.

If you are making entries and banging your equipment against brick corners, door jambs, cabinets, using your weapon as a club, etc., you can break things. That may be where people are drawing information used to form their opinions.
    Last edited by T2C; 04-18-22 at 13:52.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What do people have against A2 irons?

I don’t care why unidentified strangers don’t like A2 sights. I do, and that’s all the matters.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    A lot of people are afraid to touch the A2 sights after the weapon is zeroed.
    Not me. I dial it up! My problem is I forget to dial back down.

If you are making entries and banging your equipment against brick corners, door jambs, cabinets, using your weapon as a club, etc., you can break things. That may be where people are drawing information used to form their opinions.
    I don't see how anyone can break A2 sights... And I break a lot of stuff. The windage knob is (or should be) hard to turn, and the shape is clearly of the design to avoid unwanted turning/movement.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I dislike A2 sights on my carbine. Not because I use my carbine as a club but because I use it as a carbine. I don’t use my carbine as a target rifle either.

That’s not to say there is something wrong with target rifles, or A2 sights are too fragile. They are just not worth anything once you leave the square range. They add nothing useful to a fighting carbine.

Feedback Score
    What do A1 sights do that A2 sights dont?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast