Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do people have against A2 irons?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    What do A1 sights do that A2 sights dont?
    Nothing. A2s are WAY better.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Stay put once zeroed and less weight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    A2s are WAY better.
    I don't actually disagree with that even though I tend to prefer A1 sights.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 04-18-22 at 14:58.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think the dislike comes from the fact it's 2022 and 99% of shooters are using an optic of some kind and irons are used in a backup role in the rare event the optic goes down. Dialing elevation on irons is just not something most people are interested in outside of shooting irons for fun, if you're into that kind of thing.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A2 sights are fine. I do think they are a symptom of a flawed philosophy during the upgrade from A1 to A2. I have a preference toward A1 type sights, because they cannot be accidentally adjusted, but I also don’t think it really matters. For target shooting past 200 or 300 yards, the A2 is superior. Like others said, mark them. Its fine. Don’t let your turret gunner foot**** your gun if it can be avoided.

Edit: also, I recently found that a click on the elevation drum was unable to fix my front sight zero being “in between” clicks. But it was still OK.
    Last edited by 1168; 04-18-22 at 16:09.

Feedback Score
    Why do some refer to A2 sights as only being good for the square range and lacking for use in combat? Is that just due to the windage knob vs the drum or is there some other factor that makes A2 sights lacking for drawing a bead on the living.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Why do some refer to A2 sights as only being good for the square range and lacking for use in combat? Is that just due to the windage knob vs the drum or is there some other factor that makes A2 sights lacking for drawing a bead on the living.
    No, its fine. Just mark it after you zero. No-one has ever died specifically over A1 vs A2 sights. Like I said, I’d prefer A1 on a combat rifle, but its NBD. Put an Aimpoint or ACOG or something like that on a combat gun and don’t think about it too hard if you want an advantage over whichever peep sight is thought to be inferior.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Realistically, the elevation capabilities of the A2 system aren't much use for most civilian rifle shooters. A lot of guys don't have a range beyond 200-300 yards. For me, dialing up starts after 300 yards... before that I can favor a bit.

Like Five_Point_Five_Six wrote. It's more marksmanship enjoyment than anything else. Until Putin's boys land on our soil, shooting people beyond 300 yards isn't realistic.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    They're pretty much impossible to change dope on unintentionally.

I think A2's are fine for a 20" target rifle. Beyond that I just don't see where they're the best option available. Do they work? Absolutely. Are they the best option? Only in limited uses. I really don't care for detachable carry handles, (A1 or A2) with their big, dumb thumb screws. There are more low profile yet robust options out there (DD A 1.5 for fixed, KAC for folding) that allow for simultaneous same plane optics. If it's a truly integrated carry handle, the A1 is lower profile and more robust on a combat/duty arm. Unless you're going somewhere that actual engagements are beyond 300M, the A1 will do just fine. JMO, YMMV
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A2 sight adjustments are only USEFUL on the square range.

The are a small liability for defensive or combat use, because they can be accidentally adjusted or adjusted and then forgotten.

And just to be precise, I have the same problem with the A1 peep. Same plane peep in an A1 housing is what an iron sighted carbine should be.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast