Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extractor Spring Installation Tool

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    I have not had great success with the pressing them in with pliers method and I was using the Knipex parallel jaw pliers for the task. The extractor spring needs to be securely held in the hollow end of a tool and given a twist to seat it. If you just attempt to press them straight in they will become damaged more than half the time.

Here are a couple of great videos on the best way to do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH-AIX7WYlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEb3qbtAWFw
    I’ve never twisted one and never had an issue. I just listen for the click when it snaps into place and call it a day. The only time I’ve damaged extractor springs is removing them and stretching the spring out visibly.

Having a proper tool would probably be easier. For me the hardest part is always balancing the spring on the extractor while holding the towel in place on the bottom of it.
    Last edited by Jstud220; 04-20-22 at 12:50.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstud220 View Post
    I’ve never twisted one and never had an issue. I just listen for the click when it snaps into place and call it a day.
    Same here. I didn't know they could become twisted or whatever.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I pour oil on them then constrict them in a large crescent wrench. When the worm screw won’t turn anymore, I press the slack out of the jaws by pinching with my fingers. It pops in at this point. This is only convenient because the wrench happens to live on the table at which I replace extractor springs.

There is likely a better way.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If one pushes at an angle it can cause the spring to kink. If you take a block or any raised surface or table edge, place the spring base up and then the extractor on top. Then just simply press straight down with your thumb, it will snap into the well.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Same here. I didn't know they could become twisted or whatever.
    Twisting reduces the diameter and makes them easier to install, at least in theory. I always replace standard extractor springs with Colt, Sprinco, BCM parts and never had a problem until I destroyed one. I will be picking up a tool.

Andy

Feedback Score
    There are several ways to install them. Some fit tighter than others. I already had the Brownells punch and just discovered that it works quite well for installing the extractor springs without any trouble.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own one as well and will try this on my next extractor spring upgrade.

Thanks for the tip.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    If one pushes at an angle it can cause the spring to kink. If you take a block or any raised surface or table edge, place the spring base up and then the extractor on top. Then just simply press straight down with your thumb, it will snap into the well.
    It's really just that easy. But considering we have a never ending thread on the BCM grip screw, there's no limit on turning non issues into mayhem here.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Twisting reduces the diameter and makes them easier to install, at least in theory. I always replace standard extractor springs with Colt, Sprinco, BCM parts and never had a problem until I destroyed one. I will be picking up a tool.

Andy
    I used to worry about upgrading the extractor spring assembly, but now that I don't tolerate over gassed guns, it's not really an issue. I've been running a standard spring in a 14.5 SOCOM carbine for weeks now with no issues at all.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's really just that easy. But considering we have a never ending thread on the BCM grip screw, there's no limit on turning non issues into mayhem here.

I used to worry about upgrading the extractor spring assembly, but now that I don't tolerate over gassed guns, it's not really an issue. I've been running a standard spring in a 14.5 SOCOM carbine for weeks now with no issues at all.
    My interest in screws and other small parts is for stocking the correct parts in bulk quantities for my shop.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Press and twist with my thumb, it pops right in.

If I were assembling a hundred a day the tool might come in handy, but for the occasional build and replacement, my thumb works just fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast