Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extractor Spring Installation Tool

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's really just that easy. But considering we have a never ending thread on the BCM grip screw, there's no limit on turning non issues into mayhem here.

I used to worry about upgrading the extractor spring assembly, but now that I don't tolerate over gassed guns, it's not really an issue. I've been running a standard spring in a 14.5 SOCOM carbine for weeks now with no issues at all.
    before the upgrade, with military 14.5” carbines with H1 buffers, I don’t remember it being a colossal problem except suppressed, hot/dirty chamber, or worn out springs. Shooting a well-maintained Colt unsuppressed with an H2 buffer, you’ll probably be fine for a while. But my armorer used to hand out extractor springs with doughnuts like candy to TLs.

Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Press and twist with my thumb, it pops right in.

If I were assembling a hundred a day the tool might come in handy, but for the occasional build and replacement, my thumb works just fine.
    Maybe I’m just being a sissy, but I usually can’t get it to click in with my thumb. It usually just presses into the meaty bit until I’m pressing on the extractor itself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Maybe I’m just being a sissy, but I usually can’t get it to click in with my thumb. It usually just presses into the meaty bit until I’m pressing on the extractor itself.
    You're not alone, I can't manage to do it that way either.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sissy #3 here.............I suspect anyone able to click it in with only a thumb has an extremely out of spec extractor or a severe case of being a gorilla.

I have issues using needle nose pliers as well.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 04-21-22 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    I’ve never been able to get one in with my thumb. I remember trying for so long that I literally tore my thumb up bruising it trying to get one in before I started using a pair of pliers

Feedback Score
    The fitment is inconsistent across different BCG brands. Some snap in with ease, some won't even stay in at all, and some the tool is necessary.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Something we should consider is checking that the old spring is not broken when we change springs. I’ve had it happen that a spring shed its first coil inside the extractor, and my blind dumb ass was trying to push the new one on. I had assumed that the (malfunctioning) spring was worn and tried to replace it. I hit it with a GI toothbrush and it was obvious what had happened. Should have been a clue that it fell out when I removed the extractor.

Feedback Score
    The trick is to hook the free end first, twist in the direction of the coil and push.

You can also use your thumbnail to fully seat the free end, then work your way around, the same way you would do an internal snap ring.

It's only a 0.010" interference.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    The fitment is inconsistent across different BCG brands. Some snap in with ease, some won't even stay in at all, and some the tool is necessary.
    I agree with this. I have a new Colt cage coded extractor it will fall out of. Extractor pocket out of spec.

Feedback Score
    I just ordered one today to give it a try. If it makes things easier I’m all for it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    You're damaging your springs!

I remember Iraqgunz talking about a tool he modified to grab onto the extractor springs so that he could give them that twist to properly seat them without damaging them... I wish I could find that thread.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ngs&highlight=

I'm going to look into the tool prepare suggests.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-26-22 at 01:32.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast