Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Extractor Spring Installation Tool

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ngs&highlight=

I'm going to look into the tool prepare suggests.
    Be sure to get a 3.5 mm o'ring and cut off a small piece to partially fill the hole in the punch. I got the o"ring at lowes.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Received mine today from Brownells. I used one of the donuts that comes with the 3 pack of Sprinco springs. I had to cut it slightly more than half to get it to fit in the roll pin holder. Decided to try it out so I pulled the spring out of an extractor and put it back it. After having the hardest time putting the extractor pin back in I realized I damaged the spring. The middle coil was visibly sticking out further than the rest. I tossed that spring and tried it again but this time without twisting it. It snapped right in and the extractor pin when in as normal without a struggle.

It seems to work well just make sure not to twist it too much or if any. I can’t believe how much I mangled the first spring just by twisting ever so slightly.

Also tested it afterwards with some snap caps to make sure everything was working properly.
    Last edited by Jstud220; 04-26-22 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstud220 View Post
    Received mine today from Brownells. I used one of the donuts that comes with the 3 pack of Sprinco springs. I had to cut it slightly more than half to get it to fit in the roll pin holder. Decided to try it out so I pulled the spring out of an extractor and put it back it. After having the hardest time putting the extractor pin back in I realized I damaged the spring. The middle coil was visibly sticking out further than the rest. I tossed that spring and tried it again but this time without twisting it. It snapped right in and the extractor pin when in as normal without a struggle.

It seems to work well just make sure not to twist it too much or if any. I can’t believe how much I mangled the first spring just by twisting ever so slightly.

Also tested it afterwards with some snap caps to make sure everything was working properly.
    Twisting the spring the wrong direction will damage it in the manner you described.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Twisting the spring the wrong direction will damage it in the manner you described.
    Yes I definitely twisted it the wrong way. I should have watched the videos 556cliff shared with me before giving it a go.

Anyway it’s definitely the easiest way to do it that I’ve tried so far and although it’s not something that needs to be done often it’s small investment to have I guess what you would call a proper tool for the job. Pilars work but it was always tedious lining everything up with a towel on the opposite end making sure not to gouge the extractor.
    Last edited by Jstud220; 04-29-22 at 15:42.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234