Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Erratic Ejection Pattern

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    These two steps should eliminate the extraction/ejection/feed problem-
    -Install a Colt extractor spring with no O ring.
    -Perform a flick test on the ejector. Installing a new ejector plunger and spring at this point is cheap insurance.

Next-
    -Install an H2 buffer and carbine buffer in the lower (assuming you have a carbine RE).
    -Test with full power 5.56 ammo. Start with a lockback test. Use a magazine known to be good.

Notes-
    -Buffer weight will not fix over or under gassing. You must deal with the over-sized gas port before continuing troubleshooting. The easiest and least expensive way to do that is to get the proper BRT EZ Tune gas tube. Once this is done, you can resume troubleshooting. If you have further malfunctions after following the instructions above, they should be due to gas leaks and/or out of spec dimensions.
    100% this!
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A new carbine recoil spring is pretty cheap as well, don't think I have seen it mentioned that another was tried other than the rifle lower.

BCM extractor spring kits are $5, I bought a few and installed the spring and no o-ring in all of my BCG's.

16" mid length gas rifles like FN are leaving the factory with an H2 buffer and a carbine spring.
    Pretty sure they aren't leaving with a gas port big enough to stub a cigar out in.

With a good gas system I thought a .081" gas port in a Faxon 16" mid length was too much.
    BRT made it pretty easy to fix.
    Just select what buffer and spring, suppressed or not and if you plan on shooting shit ammo.

There really isn't much to an AR system and there are a lot of factory rifles that are proven to work, to use as a baseline.
    If what you have put together is done to the same specs there isn't any reason it shouldn't run.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Time View Post
    A new carbine recoil spring is pretty cheap as well, don't think I have seen it mentioned that another was tried other than the rifle lower.

BCM extractor spring kits are $5, I bought a few and installed the spring and no o-ring in all of my BCG's.

16" mid length gas rifles like FN are leaving the factory with an H2 buffer and a carbine spring.
    Pretty sure they aren't leaving with a gas port big enough to stub a cigar out in.

With a good gas system I thought a .081" gas port in a Faxon 16" mid length was too much.
    BRT made it pretty easy to fix.
    Just select what buffer and spring, suppressed or not and if you plan on shooting shit ammo.

There really isn't much to an AR system and there are a lot of factory rifles that are proven to work, to use as a baseline.
    If what you have put together is done to the same specs there isn't any reason it shouldn't run.
    Yeah, I tried everything at first even the things I knew I tried, I even tried them twice, before opening it up.
    Seems it was under gassed for sure at .063 but I took it to .070 then.075 nothing different happened as far as cycling so than I opened it larger.085 & that's about when I went too big & the problems continue & looked about the same. I wrongly assumed it may have been something else. I was now looking for it to do more than stop the short stroke & I opened it up to eject further & at a 3:30 pattern but opened it up a bit too much. I learned a lot about over & under gassed symptoms look a lot alike. I will either get a BRT gas tube, .80 would be about where I need for it to run reliable & strong ejection. Or I may get a new barrel. I only started this debacle because of the FTF bolt over base from Short stroking, & I won't keep a unreliable gun.
    I may just get a new barrel I been wanting a 14.5 inch build. I also got a hard learned lesson for the price of a new barrel, about $200 not counting ammo on testing. That's a cheap lesson in today's world.
    Thanks again for listening. & Any help I received.
    Last edited by JoeBobJoe; 05-05-22 at 18:42.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456