Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 57

Feedback Score

S&W 57

Sometimes I buy a gun because I found cheap ammo in a caliber I don’t have a gun for (yet)

Sometimes I buy a gun because it’s been sitting for sale for a long time and feels like a puppy in dire need of adoption

This one ticks both boxes :

Last year I bought this ammo super cheap ($ 110) but didn’t have a gun for it. I thought I can either find a gun, of trade / sell the ammo, and I favoured the second option as the last thing I needed was another caliber in my collection

Now if you wonder why anyone would sell this quality ammo so cheap, I believe no one here in Switzerland shoots .41 Magnum, so there’s really no demand for it. I love those old green / yellow Remington boxes, brings back a lot of good memories when I first started shooting .44 magnum as a young man

Which then leads to the gun. A year ago, an amateur gun trader I know bought several nice S&W revolvers : a 27-3 in 3.5”, a 19-3 in 4”, a 29-2 in 8 3/8”, a 25-3 in 6” commemorative, a 586-1 in 4”, and this 57 in 4”

I was interested in the 27-2 and the 19-3, but after a lot of back and forth horse trading we couldn’t find an agreement. Good on him since he sold both fairly rapidly.

However the 57 was stuck with him, and after talking about it a few times end last year, I visited him yesterday to buy some Luger and GP35 mags, and while at it I had him pull out the 57 from the safe.

He had it for sale for over a year, originally at $ 1320.-, we agreed at $ 950.-

The grips are quite reddish so rosewood I suppose ?

Serial number puts it at 1977 I believe

What can I say, I’m weak when it comes to classic P&R Smith & Wesson revolvers. They just don’t make them like that anymore

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Nice 57.
    Smiths .45 Colt, 44 mag revolvers have had cylinder throats all over the board; oversized, too tight- all which would contribute to less than stellar accuracy. Particularly with cast lead, in the case of too tight throats.

The .41 never seemed to be plagued with this issue, all I’ve owned have been accurate and close to spot on with throat dimension.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I once had a partner in an anti street crime unit, and his main go to gun was a model 58 which is a 41 mag with fixed sights. I thought it was a cool revolver and just last week was talking about it with him. Years later it is his EDC.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I carry a resurrected 58 (Pawn Shop find) at the ranch frequently.
    The .41 hits hard, deer/large hogs can’t tell the difference between .41, .44 or .45 Colt with good shot placement and long for caliber, heavy cast bullets.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The S&W 58 is one of my "lust after guns". Sweet 57.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    OP; that is an absolutely beautiful find...may it serve you well.

@titsonritz; I've always thought the Model 58 looked like "an M&P on steroids"...just fantastic.

There's definitely something about N-frame Smiths...

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I hate myself for selling the two I owned...the S s/n guns are a little more desired than the N. I do have a 57 mountain & while cool, it doesn't have the romance of the original. Nice snag.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    @titsonritz; I've always thought the Model 58 looked like "an M&P on steroids"...just fantastic.
    That is exactly what it is, the S&W Model 10 all juiced up. K-frame/.38spl bumped up to an N-frame/.41mag.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Very nice.

Starline Brass makes .41 Special brass for easier reduced loads.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That cylinder looks like it was never or rarely fired. Did you get a round count. Beautiful as usual. Nice score on ammo too.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast