Thread: A "generic" ambi charging handle...?

Feedback Score

A "generic" ambi charging handle...?

I saw what Aero Precision offers and that patent no. got my interest.. Looks like a generic design that has been brought by various vendors. PSA & Arm or Ally also has one AFAICT.

Here's the patent.

I've also noticed that this charging handle got 4 roll pins where most ambi ones got two. The bottom piece holds these non-reciprocated latches in place (with roll pins) & connected by the roll pin on the top left (or bottom right). The hook is also an independent component.

AP-APRH100388_3__01794.1629158456.JPG aprh308103c-ar308-ambi-charging-handle.jpg

Soo...Is it over complicated for a charging handle? I'd guess that wouldn't be good. Are there any advantage to separate moving parts like so?
    Last edited by Pasta123; 04-19-22 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    I have two of these. One from aero and one from PSA. They are junk imo after about 500 rounds they both started reciprocating with the bolt. Nothing like getting smacked in the nose with a charging handle when you’re not expecting it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstud220 View Post
    I have two of these. One from aero and one from PSA. They are junk imo after about 500 rounds they both started reciprocating with the bolt. Nothing like getting smacked in the nose with a charging handle when you’re not expecting it.
    I guess that means the hook is slightly too weak.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstud220 View Post
    Wow. I've had some well worn upper notches for the CH latch and never had that happen.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Their BREACH Ambi-CH looks more interesting to me.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Wow. I've had some well worn upper notches for the CH latch and never had that happen.
    What’s odd is the springs still have good tension. I’m not sure where the failure point is but I wouldn’t buy another. Also not really comfortable when the guns slung it stabs the $hit out of your chest.