Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 BLK HD ammo choices

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks guys, appreciating the info and experience so far.

edit: Can anyone comment on powder burn for something like Barnes 110 gr TAC TX? Since the barrel is shorter at sub 9”, wasn’t sure if some loads will be better with flash. My 5.56 long-loaded HD mags are Hornady SBR, as example.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofmayhem View Post
    Does it have to be supersonic for HD? If you are willing to go subsonic loads I recommend Hornady 190 grain Sub-X.
    Doesn’t have to be subsonic, but if it isn’t going to be quiet, I’d rather have more velocity.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 04-19-22 at 17:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post

edit: Can anyone comment on powder burn for something like Barnes 110 gr TAC TX? Since the barrel is shorter at sub 9”, wasn’t sure if some loads will be better with flash. My 5.56 long-loaded HD mags are Hornady SBR, as example.

Doesn’t have to be subsonic, but if it isn’t going to be quiet, I’d rather have more velocity.
    Makes sense. Gotta get that suppressor!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    H110/Win 296 was the velocity king a few years ago.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post

H110 seems to be the most popular and is what ive used but other magnum pistol powders should work as well such 300-MP and AA #9.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I'm in the same boat as a lot of others in the thinking that the Barnes 110 gr are king in terms of terminal ballistics, but yes, they do tend to over penetrate. The 110 v-max or 110gr varmegeddon would be my second choice.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Even w/o a can, subsonic is a lot milder to shoot. Hornady has a 190 sub that is worth a look if factory ammo is an option. I was skeptical at first about feeding but it has not given any trouble. The .223 analog is 1MOA stuff despite its weird bluntish tip. In gel it did what I thought was a pretty good job for a bullet that also works on prairie rats.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
    The 110 v-max or 110gr varmegeddon would be my second choice.
    I can attest to the 110 Varmageddon's effects out of a BLK. Several years ago I did some wetpack tests with them out of a 16" barrel at 50 yards. As was said above these are varmint bullets and are designed to explode on impact coming out of a .308 or 30-06. Even at BLK velocity at 50 yards they exploded inches inside the wetpack. Granted you are talking about an 8" barrel so you'll lose some velocity, but you are also talking about inside the home distances. These were shot into wet newspaper and not ballistic gel or flesh, so some differences there, but I would imagine a varmint bullet exploding inside the chest cavity or brain pan of a bad guy would seriously mess them up.

Feedback Score
    Subbed for info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12