Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choice of two red dots

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Choice of two red dots

I'm assembling a new rifle with a bunch of spare parts. I plan on keeping it in my backseat so it's something I want to be able to rely on but it's not my primary rifle. Im choosing between two red dots and am looking for your opinions. I've narrowed my choices to a Trijicon MRO and Aimpoint Duty RDS. Which would you recommend and why?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A review video posted here no too long ago on the Duty sight was less than thrilling in the bright sunlight performance aspect. Being in the bright sunny desert, that was a deal breaker for me. Any of last 3 aimpoint "budget" RDS have all had tangible short comings. (PRO, CCO, and now the Duty) The dudy being the only one I've not personally tried.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've seen a grand total of 0 reviews from M4Carbine.net users of the Duty RDS, so it's still a big question mark. The only things it's got going for it so far are the price, size, and the manufacturer. That may change after some reliable feedback has been provided. I just watched the video markm mentioned, and am rather disappointed with what I learned.

The MRO seems reliable, and it has held zero so far. I prefer the top position of the brightness adjustment dial, but that's not overly important since side dial work fine. It's got a reputation for excessive parallax, so I tested one a few months ago at 25 yards. I fired a couple rounds with the dot near one side of the window, a couple rounds with the dot near the opposite side of the window, and a couple with it centered. The three groups were spaced with 8 or more inches between the outside ones. I wish I'd kept that target. I may do this test again when an AR with MRO goes with me to the range again. As long as you keep the dot in the center, it's not a problem, but hardly ideal.
    Last edited by grizzman; 04-19-22 at 18:35.

Feedback Score
    Sage Dynamics did a similar test between the MRO and a Comp M5. Huge difference in performance, not even close in fact. The Comp M5 was significantly better.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Plenty of Aimpoint comp series and T series optics out there. I love me some Trijicon but their red dots just don't compare.

Feedback Score
    I would consider this for your intended use. Primary Arms SLx 1X MicroPrism with Green Illuminated ACSS Gen II Reticle

It has an etched reticle so you don't even have to turn it on. Its a great grab and go to work capable option.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    I have a MRO and works fine NO WAY would I put a Comp M5 on a truck gun, nor are they comparable.
    IMHO the primary arms is a nice suggestion. I like the ACSSS reticle.
    Even a aimpoint patrol, but still 500bucks on a truck gun, but that's different for everyone.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Any consideration for the Sig Romeo4T? It’s reasonably priced and includes a mount.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To me, a truck gun is something I want to completely rely on. If I end up in a hostile environment or in the middle of civil unrest somewhere, it's the truck gun I'm depending on.

I'll have to look into the primary arms. Imay just wait and save up for something.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    To me, a truck gun is something I want to completely rely on. If I end up in a hostile environment or in the middle of civil unrest somewhere, it's the truck gun I'm depending on.

I'll have to look into the primary arms. Imay just wait and save up for something.
    Yeah, I can’t keep a gun in my car due to circumstances, but if I did…it would be because I want it to always work.
    I get bot wanting to keep a Nightforce on a “truck gun,” but I wouldn’t choose that as the gun to cheap out on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast