Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Choice of two red dots

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    To me, a truck gun is something I want to completely rely on. If I end up in a hostile environment or in the middle of civil unrest somewhere, it's the truck gun I'm depending on.
    Only thing nicer than my truck guns is my HD rifle
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A lightly used T2 would be a very good choice for a truck gun. Actually, a PRO would also be a good choice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Yeah, I can’t keep a gun in my car due to circumstances, but if I did…it would be because I want it to always work.
    I get bot wanting to keep a Nightforce on a “truck gun,” but I wouldn’t choose that as the gun to cheap out on.
    Gotta agree.

Although there’s also no way I’m leaving a long gun in my vehicle overnight unattended either. So for me the notion of a cheap beater gun to live in a vehicle will not apply, as a responsible gun owner I have an ethical obligation to keep weapons reasonably secure (no solution is ever perfect).

I guess if I had to put a travel carbine together I’d buy or assemble a 14.5” pin and welded carbine with a Comp M5 or T2, a light, and sling. Then put it and magazines and ear pro in something like a Haley Strategic “Incog” bag so it can be moved in or out of the vehicle without screaming “GUN!” to everyone.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    To me, a truck gun is something I want to completely rely on. If I end up in a hostile environment or in the middle of civil unrest somewhere, it's the truck gun I'm depending on.

I'll have to look into the primary arms. Imay just wait and save up for something.
    I agree 100%. I don't understand the mentality of people who want a cheap crappy gun that they have a higher probability of using.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Gotta agree.

Although there’s also no way I’m leaving a long gun in my vehicle overnight unattended either. So for me the notion of a cheap beater gun to live in a vehicle will not apply, as a responsible gun owner I have an ethical obligation to keep weapons reasonably secure (no solution is ever perfect).

I guess if I had to put a travel carbine together I’d buy or assemble a 14.5” pin and welded carbine with a Comp M5 or T2, a light, and sling. Then put it and magazines and ear pro in something like a Haley Strategic “Incog” bag so it can be moved in or out of the vehicle without screaming “GUN!” to everyone.
    Not everyone lives in an urban/suburban setting. Where I grew up I could see maybe leaving a gun in a vehicle full time. Where I live now? No way no how and I wish everyone else would stop.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've found Aimpoint RDS sights to be stone cold reliable. I don't have any experience with the Trijicon MRO.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Not everyone lives in an urban/suburban setting. Where I grew up I could see maybe leaving a gun in a vehicle full time. Where I live now? No way no how and I wish everyone else would stop.

Andy
    I don’t live in an urban or suburban setting, I’m in a small town with very little crime.

I still don’t like leaving weapons in a vehicle unattended.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just to follow up on the optics in question, I was able to try out the aimpoint duty and was actually impressed. I found the duty to be brighter than my aimpoint pro on its brightest setting. The only thing I noticed was my friend thought the sight mighthave automatically shut off while shooting.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You asked a straight-forward question. Between your two options ( MRO or Aimpoint RDS), I would choose the Aimpoint, because of the parallax of the MRO.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have some of the MRO's. For what they are I like them. As an old shotgunner I have a habitually consistent cheek weld so the parallax thing is less of an issue. At SD distances (I'm thinking 75 yd and in), I don't think the parallax would be an issue.

Don't have an Aimpoint Duty, but I would say the Aimpoint products are in a different class. My PRO and H/T series Micros are very good.

From what I've seen, you're going to pay about double for the Duty. I have bought MRO's in the low $300's, with mount. Duty will run you $500 and then you need a mount (at least the ones I've seen on sale, which have been minimal).
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 05-14-22 at 19:11.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast