Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Army picks SIG to produce Next Generation Squad Weapon

Feedback Score

Army picks SIG to produce Next Generation Squad Weapon

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-...-squad-weapon/

The wait is over. The Army has selected Sig Sauer to build the Next Generation Squad Weapon’s rifle and machine-gun variants that are intended to replace the M4 and M249 Squad Automatic Weapon.

Sig Sauer was awarded a $20.4 million contract to build the XM5 Rifle and the XM250 Automatic Rifle as well as the 6.8 mm ammunition that they chamber, Army officials announced on Tuesday.

“Both weapons provide significant capability improvements in accuracy, range and overall lethality. They are lightweight, fire more lethal ammunition, mitigate recoil, provide improved barrel performance, and include integrated muzzle sound and flash reduction,” an Army news release says. “Both weapons fire common 6.8-millimeter ammunition utilizing government-provided projectiles and vendor-designed cartridges. The new ammunition includes multiple types of tactical and training rounds that increase accuracy and are more lethal against emerging threats than both the 5.56mm and 7.62mm ammunition.”

Feedback Score
    No surprise here. However, I'm guessing this thing is going to be cancelled before it goes into production; this seems like the XM8 2.0.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    I am pretty sure this is a done deal, Sig and Winchester have won the military contracts already for 6.8 ammo production. It has been over a decade and it has been clear the 5.56 was a terrible performer overseas in Iraq and especially Afghanistan. The M855 and M855A1 revision showed poor results overseas, the Army knew they couldn't ignore demands for a larger caliber rifles by troops. SF teams have been saying that for a even longer time about how much this has been needing done.
    Last edited by zack991; 04-19-22 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    I am pretty sure this is a done deal, Sig and Winchester have won the military contracts already for 6.8 ammo production. It has been over a decade and it has been clear the 5.56 was a terrible performer overseas in Iraq and especially Afghanistan. The M855 and M855A1 revision showed poor results overseas, the Army knew they couldn't ignore demands for a larger caliber rifles by troops. SF teams have been saying that for a even longer time about how much this has been needing done.
    Many of those things are greatly exaggerated. This whole project stems from the idiot powerpoint comparing the PKM to the M4, and also claiming that the PKM had a greater range than the M240.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I’m not in the military, but old Primary & Secondary podcasts covered this pretty thoroughly, with actual shooters saying “naw, they just weren’t hitting their targets” and “it’s a software problem.”

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I will admit the LMG seems pretty cool, but the rifle replacing the m4 seems like a step backwards.

Soli Deo Gloria

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Army picks SIG to produce Next Generation Squad Weapon

The M855 and M855A1 revision showed poor results overseas, the Army knew they couldn't ignore demands for a larger caliber rifles by troops. SF teams have been saying that for a even longer time about how much this has been needing done.
    Um, what? Where did you get that shit from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    F***ing r3tarded. Heavier than 5.56, more recoil than 5.56 = dead on arrival. Its the Interim Combat Rifle all over again. Ive heard exactly zero complaints from the Russians and Ukrainians what their need is to defeat rifle plates over their current 5.45 and 7.62x54r weapons. Because clearly there are zero casualties from rifle fire in this war where everyone and their mother is wearing a set of plates in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Um, what? Where did you get that shit from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    His ass obviously.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-19-22 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Shocker

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Many of those things are greatly exaggerated. This whole project stems from the idiot powerpoint comparing the PKM to the M4, and also claiming that the PKM had a greater range than the M240.
    Yep. From what I’ve seen myself and heard from people I trust 5.56, with a good round and proper shot placement, is a good people stopper. For Afghanistan, they should have just gotten the M240L out sooner and more widely issued or revamped the MK48.

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I’m not in the military, but old Primary & Secondary podcasts covered this pretty thoroughly, with actual shooters saying “naw, they just weren’t hitting their targets” and “it’s a software problem.”
    Same thing happened to the M1/2 Carbine. Oh .30carbine is a horrible round against the Chinese in winter clothes. No turns out you just ain’t hitting them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It was not my experience with 5.56 in Iraq and I have yet to meet someone who has said that. Shit, I just listened to a podcast where Kyle Lamb said 855 performed well in Somalia.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast