Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Army picks SIG to produce Next Generation Squad Weapon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    I still think a 6mm in modified hybrid case based off of 5.56 would have made way more sense for a GI cartridge.
    I'm not sure any 5.56 based case would do any better than the current 5.56mm NATO, given the limitations of the mag box to 2.260". However, the 6mm ARC could work nicely, as would any number of Grendel based (or 220 Russian) offerings.
    Last edited by BobinNC; 05-23-22 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    I think I said it earlier in this thread, but no way Big Army is gonna keep three main calibers for combat weapons, not even counting 9mm in the mix. Even in WWII it was 30.06, .30 Carbine, and .45 ACP (shared with the sidearm of the time). And it's supposed to be only grunts, uber-grunts like Rangers (not a slam at all 1168), and of course SF. Oh, I think I forgot to mention Cav Scouts (maybe intentionally? ). The rest of Big Army is gonna have the 5.56mm M4A1. Riiiiight......

Prediction based on the $.02 it is worth: the caliber itself is scrapped, Big Army somehow "improves" 5.56mm yet adopts the SIG Spear weapon system but in 5.56mm NATO.

Again, pure speculation. I just recall the XM-8 debacle and that didn't even involve a new caliber added in.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I guess a protest by the losing competitor was inevitable:

https://www.gao.gov/docket/b-420766.1

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This shit is sounding almost as ridiculous as LWRCi's fukking lies. Shit. I got over 26000 rounds out of an old Bushmaster 14.5 M4 barrel, and could have kept shooting it, but decided to replace before any noticeable accuracy degradation appeared.
    It’s incredible that every time I pick up an LWRCi (rare but it happens) I immediately think of markm’s rants and cannot take it seriously.

Straight up amazing.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I guess a protest by the losing competitor was inevitable:

https://www.gao.gov/docket/b-420766.1
    With a contract that big, it was a forgone conclusion.

If SIG had lost, they would have filed the protest.

Don't hate the player, hate the game...

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Something like that might run afoul of federal law and need to be rebid. Lots of players such as KAC, FN, Barrett/Geissele and US Ord have lighter weight(relative to the M240) machine gun offerings that would likely start being very loud about a program like that not being competitively bid and instead resulting from another program that is unrecognizable at that point.
    Yeah, similar to SIG getting the NSW LPVO contract and then wanting it modified to completely change the reticle and doubling the price.

Leupold won that protest; NSW was told to either buy the optics within the constraints of the award or bid it over again.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...nst-sig-sauer/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Yeah, similar to SIG getting the NSW LPVO contract and then wanting it modified to completely change the reticle and doubling the price.

Leupold won that protest; NSW was told to either buy the optics within the constraints of the award or bid it over again.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...nst-sig-sauer/
    Leupold, they still make optics? Oh wait, they just rebrand optics from 1981. They haven’t been relevant in A LONG time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    It’s incredible that every time I pick up an LWRCi (rare but it happens) I immediately think of markm’s rants and cannot take it seriously.

Straight up amazing.
    Lol same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Leupold, they still make optics? Oh wait, they just rebrand optics from 1981. They haven’t been relevant in A LONG time

The Mk5 is pretty highly regarded.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    The Mk5 is pretty highly regarded.
    Compared to what scopes? Nightforce, uso, s&b, razor? Or pst, strike Eagle, Burris?

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast