Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Army picks SIG to produce Next Generation Squad Weapon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    My theory since the beginning is the rifle gets scrapped and the MG gets adopted but rechambered in 7.62 Nato.

Something like that might run afoul of federal law and need to be rebid. Lots of players such as KAC, FN, Barrett/Geissele and US Ord have lighter weight(relative to the M240) machine gun offerings that would likely start being very loud about a program like that not being competitively bid and instead resulting from another program that is unrecognizable at that point.

Feedback Score
    The .338 Norma Magnum machine gun still seems to be in the mix:

“This is basically going to give us firepower, not exactly, of a .50 caliber in a M240 form factor,” the official said. “It is a big advancement in SOF lethality and there are going to be a lot of accoutrements.”

https://www.defensenews.com/news/you...wer-wish-list/
    Last edited by Slater; 05-19-22 at 11:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The .338 Norma MG is a SOCOM/USMC program. I have been hot on that idea for a long time now. NGSW, not so much.

Info regarding SOCOM thoughts on NGSW should be coming this week to learn where everything fits in the mix. With big army chasing 6.8 while SOCOM traditions to 6.5CM and tests .338 MGs.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 05-19-22 at 11:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Something like that might run afoul of federal law and need to be rebid. Lots of players such as KAC, FN, Barrett/Geissele and US Ord have lighter weight(relative to the M240) machine gun offerings that would likely start being very loud about a program like that not being competitively bid and instead resulting from another program that is unrecognizable at that point.
    good point
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I'm wondering if the .277 Fury is being used as sort of a proof of concept for higher pressure loadings. That is, perhaps can apply the same technology to a smaller round such as the 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel and increase the velocity and ballistics of those rounds, they could get vastly improved performance over the 5.56 with less bulk and weight than the .277 Fury.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I still think a 6mm in modified hybrid case based off of 5.56 would have made way more sense for a GI cartridge.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sig Sauer President and CEO Ron Cohen told Task & Purpose in January that his company’s design for the Next Generation Squad Weapon could fire up to 12,000 rounds before needing to change barrels, whereas soldiers typically need to replace the barrels on their M4 carbines after firing 6,000 rounds.
    This shit is sounding almost as ridiculous as LWRCi's fukking lies. Shit. I got over 26000 rounds out of an old Bushmaster 14.5 M4 barrel, and could have kept shooting it, but decided to replace before any noticeable accuracy degradation appeared.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This shit is sounding almost as ridiculous as LWRCi's fukking lies. Shit. I got over 26000 rounds out of an old Bushmaster 14.5 M4 barrel, and could have kept shooting it, but decided to replace before any noticeable accuracy degradation appeared.
    I'm really wondering if that 12k spec isn't from using the downloaded all brass version at 60k psi. Even then that may be a stretch.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 454308 View Post
    I'm really wondering if that 12k spec isn't from using the downloaded all brass version at 60k psi. Even then that may be a stretch.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Let's be honest; we know the limits for barrel life, throat erosion, etc for modern barrel metallurgy and manufacturing.

12k rds of even 70k psi ammo is just a fabrication if 4150cmv steel is still being used. Profile and weight don't matter much for throat erosion.

*If* some advanced metallurgy is being leveraged (such as the breathtakingly expensive and difficult-to-machine Aermet steels, etc) then I can start accepting that the math *could* add up. COULD.

Looking at commercial hunting cartridges with similar bullet weights, calibers, and muzzle velocities.... 1,200 rounds would be a VERY acceptable lifespan for a heavy contour precision rifle barrel. 10x that seems..... well..... even with greatly relaxed accuracy requirements.... it's a big stretch.

And then we get to bolt life....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I’m fairly certain that it is not common to swap a .mil M4 barrel that soon (edit: I mean Cohen’s 6,000rd M4 barrel life claim). I put more rounds on barrels than that annually. This sounds like Bill G’s bullshit claim about broken bolts.

Anyway, I’m calling bullshit on Ron Cohen. Perhaps someone will take that claim to court someday. Lol. Probably not.
    Last edited by 1168; 05-23-22 at 15:31. Reason: Clarity

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast