Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Army picks SIG to produce Next Generation Squad Weapon

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Guess I should’ve trimmed the quote more, I was talking about 855A1 specifically since that’s what we’ve used for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And its excellent general-issue ammo, despite my early skepticism, back when I was shooting 70gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasta123 View Post
    Good lord, what's wrong with just getting off-the-shelf improvements? Do they hate their 5.56 ARs as much as their M9s?
    A week ago two young (ish, both are Mustangs) Officers and I were at a range marveling at how far the M4 has come and how the M4A1/M68/M855A1 that even many reservists have is the best general-issue weapon ever fielded by any army to date. The improvements over time have made it go from “that’ll do” to really good. COTS and COTS-based upgrades in SOF have really made it an unprecedented study in excellency.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That Sig's offering was selected is hardly surprising; that writing has been on the wall for some time. The real interesting bit was that a selection was made, and watching the interwebz reaction to it. I tend to expect, like others, that this will go the way of the XM8. That said, I really find the "No, mY 5.56 aR iS pErFeCt!" crowd to be amusing. There has been a push for well over a decade for a larger caliber for matters of range, "stopping power" and effectiveness against armor. That the Army picked something based on that idea shouldn't come as too much of a shock. With no hands-on experience with either the caliber or the rifle in question, I will hold judgment on whether or not it's a cool way to achieve the desired results or just another wasted program. I'm far more concerned with the chamber pressures and worn-out barrels than the weight and increased recoil.

Side note, anyone know if conversion kits will be practical to let older 7.62 NATO weapons use the new cartridge? The 240 family on the .mil side comes to mind, but so does a rash of AR-10s, SCAR Hs, Hk 417s, etc that could impact both civilian and military customers.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post

Side note, anyone know if conversion kits will be practical to let older 7.62 NATO weapons use the new cartridge? The 240 family on the .mil side comes to mind, but so does a rash of AR-10s, SCAR Hs, Hk 417s, etc that could impact both civilian and military customers.
    An article i read, i believe Soldier Systems, said there are 240 conversion kits.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That sentiment goes back to the 1960s when the M16 was first fielded. I tend to agree with Boringguy45. Another idea that won't likely go anywhere.

I'm unaware of any 6.8 round that is in any way an improvement over 5.56. Granted M855 is a mediocre round at best, but a simple switch to Mk262 would be massively wiser than anything 6.8

We played with 6.8 very briefly, and it makes no sense. Might as well just go 300 worthless.
    Try some Berger 130gr with a windowed mag. It'll give you a good long range challenge.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I am surprised at 80K pressure for the round and how doesn't that wear parts out faster. I would have assumed they would go with other off the shelf choices for ammo vs this hybrid case design. Sig claims they have steel inserts that are changeable for unit armors to do instead of sending them into sig for repairs.

Feedback Score
    Wonder if LoneStar Future Weapons will lodge a protest? Those seem fairly routine these days.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I’m pretty sure in 10 years all of you naysayers will be arguing over a chart listing the attributes of all the 277 chambered MCX Spear clones on the market.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    And its excellent general-issue ammo, despite my early skepticism, back when I was shooting 70gr.

A week ago two young (ish, both are Mustangs) Officers and I were at a range marveling at how far the M4 has come and how the M4A1/M68/M855A1 that even many reservists have is the best general-issue weapon ever fielded by any army to date. The improvements over time have made it go from “that’ll do” to really good. COTS and COTS-based upgrades in SOF have really made it an unprecedented study in excellency.
    So far, only the Army is thinking about replacing the 5.56, is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I’m pretty sure in 10 years all of you naysayers will be arguing over a chart listing the attributes of all the 277 chambered MCX Spear clones on the market.
    Meh. I don't trust anything that relates to Milley.
    Last edited by Pasta123; 04-20-22 at 10:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    This is the truth right here.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast