Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Legion Memorial Run N Gun: Sept 10-11, Spencer, TN

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 20xclean View Post
    What an outstanding event. Great route, challenging course of fire. ROs and staff we’re top notch. Deadzero had everything on point. If anything wasn’t smooth as silk I couldn’t see it from a competitor standpoint. One of my top two favorite events of the year again this year.

Very nice to include the dog tags. Tim spent about an hours talking about the three men he knew. Not necessarily the events that led to them falling but the men themselves and some of the times he had with them. Very special to get him to open up like that.

Thank you, Matt.

Chris
    Thank you, sir! I'm glad this got him talking and sharing about those guys - that is EXACTLY the point. Thanks for bringing him out!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    From Lisa:

Legion Memorial Run N Gun photos for Friday and Saturday are up. Sunday pictures are in the works and should be up soon. Feel free to share pics with friends and family. Any other uses of these photos must have permissions and photo credits. Leave the watermark, it's a small thing to ask. These albums are best viewed and downloaded from a desktop or laptop, devices can be problematic.

**Edited to add: I had some difficulties with some internal settings in one camera and this has led to the photos being a bit jumbled between days. 95% of you will find your photos in the correct album. The other 5% are going to have to look around a bit. I tried to sort this out as best I could, but at this point - it is what it is. My apologies.

Saturday pics:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lstenn...77720302204432

Friday pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lstenn...77720302120383 (many have been added since first posting)

Last edited by Matt in TN; 09-19-22 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    AAR
    Legion Memorial Run-n-Gun
    9/11/22
    Dead Zero Shooting Park
    Spencer, TN

This is my sixth R-n-G event, and my first Legion. The main sponsor of this event is the Special Forces Association Chapter 38. Other sponsors include Alan’s Arsenal, Spike’s Tactical, Night Force, Magpul, and a whole host of others. A big THANK YOU goes out to the sponsors, Match Director Matt Stennett, the staff of Dead Zero, and all the RO’s and other helpers along the way. The entire process from sign up to the finish line went just as smooth as silk.

I really dig the RnG, get wet & dirty, crawl under shit/climb over shit mindset, because it gives a more strenuous test of mind and gear than does any other competitive shooting event. I won’t say much about the stages here on M4C, because you can read about them all above. Suffice it to say that all shooting stages were safe, fun and challenging. RO's were helpful and professional. One can do things at a RnG event that very few people get a chance to do…shoot from a vehicle, from an elevated position, from a muddy pond, (I hope that was just mud,) or from a creek that wants to suck your shoes off. There’s more, but this AAR is going to be long as it is….

My gear was the same as usual. Rifle is a BCM 14.5” with a NF 1-8 ATACR in a NF Ultralight 1.5” one-piece mount, completely stock except for the Giessle SD-C trigger/hammer/springs. I also used a Vickers/Blue Force Gear quick-adjustable sling…but more on trigger & sling later. My pistol is a stock G19 Gen 5 MOS with a Forward Controls Design plate mounting a Trijicon RMR CC, Safariland 6354DO ALS Red Dot Holster, on an Emdom belt. On my belt are two, Emdom pistol mag holders and about a 20-year old unknown mfg plastic rifle mag holder. Chest rig is an old Eagle Industries. Backpack is a generic cheapo, but it only carries a couple water bottles, extra mags and a snickers bar.

I had eight failures to fire out of 172 rifle shots. Since each occurred in the midst of a stage of fire, I quickly did remedial action and kept going. I found only three of those eight errant rounds, and each had a light hit on the primer. I use my own reloads, and I’m super-anal-retentive with my match ammo. Most every RnG has long rifle shots, so with that in mind I use 77 grain Sierra Match King bullets. I sort all the brass and use only known once-fired Lake City, I trim it after sizing, and individually weigh about 15% of powder charges even though I use the Dillon powder check die 100% of the time. I individually measure for overall length another 15-20%. I carefully inspect every round before loading. In my prep for this match (including the Guardian last month,) I shot about 400 rounds from this lot; and a LOT more with my generic 55-grain load, with zero issues.

However, rifle and magazines were dirty AF, from about 6 barbed-wire fences that runners had to crawl under in the mud, and one exceptionally muddy pond. (I tell myself it was just mud in that water, despite the plethora of cow-chips all around…) I like the Giessle trigger and will probably put it in a different rifle, but I think the gun was simply to dirty for a fancy-pants trigger. After the match I switched back to the original BCM factory trigger and have shot it out to 300 yards, with the same lot of 77’s, with no noticeable effect on accuracy. I have high hopes to see what happens in regards to reliability.

I’ve used the Vickers/BFG QA sling for all RnG’s so far, but have never been happy with it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s anything less than top-quality, it’s just not “quick-adjustable enough” for me. No matter how I adjusted the non-QA portion, the sling was either to loose when tightened up, or to tight when loose. A comparison of Vickers vs. Viking Tactics showed the VTAC is significantly longer than the Vickers, and the VTAC has about 17” of additional “quick” adjustability. I swapped out the Vickers in favor of the VTAC, and have had one full day of training with it. With rifle plates and backpack, I can easily tighten the VTAC sling tight enough to run (OK, walk fast…) without it bouncing around, and can loosen it enough to shoot without having to shrug out of it. Since the VTAC is a lot longer overall, there may be a price to pay with all that extra sling trailing around and perhaps getting caught up in the weeds, but the VTAC has found a home at least through my next RnG.

Pistol ran 100% with my reloads…mixed brass, RMR 124 grain JHP’s and 3.8 grains of Clays.

10K runners…and run/walkers…had a minimum of 80 rifle hits and 60 pistol hits. (Oh, and for that matter, only in the RnG world does “10K” = 7.3 miles. That’s some funky RnG MD math but not unique to the Legion.)

I’ve worked a few of these and have seen folks run out of ammo….but not necessarily because they shot it all up. Sometimes the mud/woods/gremlins have a way of making entire mags disappear and now suddenly you’re Winchester on ammo. That sucks. I don’t want to run out so I carried 8 rifle mags and 8 pistol mags. I shot 172 rifle rounds and 75 pistol rounds.

A unique thing abut the Legion is the close association with the military, especially the Army Special Forces. The Special Forces Association provided a dog tag for every fallen soldier in 5th Group History, including those from other branches who passed while attached to 5th Group, and every runner had the opportunity to pick one up and “run with” a fallen soldier. I ran with SFC Thomas L. Wadkins, who passed on September 27, 2010. He left behind a wife and two sons. I picked his dog tag at random, but when I saw the date he died, it struck me, as he passed on my wife’s birthday.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great AAR - thanks for coming!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    From Lisa:

Legion Memorial Run N Gun photos for SUNDAY are up. Feel free to share pics with friends and family. Any other uses of these photos must have permissions and photo credits. Leave the watermark, it's a small thing to ask. These albums are best viewed and downloaded from a desktop or laptop, other devices can be problematic.

**Edited to add: I had some difficulties with some internal settings in one camera and this has led to the photos being a bit jumbled between days. 95% of you will find your photos in the correct album. The other 5% are going to have to look around a bit. I tried to sort this out as best I could, but at this point - it is what it is. My apologies.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lstenn...77720302240686

Feedback Score
    Where's that match video Matt? You gotta be almost rested up by now.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    Where's that match video Matt? You gotta be almost rested up by now.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Hopefully be done this weekend. I've had a few special engagements keeping me busy this week. Pics coming shortly!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The official match video is up! 6 months of work and 3 days of action, all crammed into 5 minutes of video.

Share it so people can get just a taste of the amazing accomplishments you made two weeks ago. Share it to give the sponsors some much-earned love and recognition. Share it to help the match grow.

But most importantly: share it to remember the names and stories of the eight 5th Group heroes we honored with stages this year (not to mention all those we carried with us on the course). May we never forget.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Big thanks to Karl (​http://www.tacticalrifleman.com/​​​) for joining us this year, and for helping to share our story with his almost 1 million subscribers!

It's humbling enough to do this as a simple civilian - I can't imagine the impact it has when you knew several of the honorees.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am beyond proud and thrilled to announce, that with all of your help and generosity we were able to present the Special Forces Association, Chpt 38 with a check for $30,000.00 at their Reunion Dinner a couple weeks ago.

Thank you all for helping us to make this happen.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast