Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please educate me on waterproof boots

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Please educate me on waterproof boots

We are moving to a rainy summer/snowy cold winter location. Only boots I own are my .gov issue Bellevilles, one in black leather and the other in a tan suede, both steel toes which obviously is no longer needed.

Was thinking about ordering the waterproof boots by Belleville which they say uses Gore-Tex. But that’s on the inside, so my feet stay dry but the outside leather will get wrecked by rain and snow, right?

Principal use will be some trail hiking and mostly walking the city, mass transit, etc.

Any input is gratefully appreciated.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    What’s your budget? There are much better options than typical government issue out there. Gore Tex is great at breathable moisture wicking and boot leather, if properly treated, will last years in wet conditions. Personally, I like Obenaufs for leather treatment but there are other formulas as well. Mink oil does well on leather but I’ve found it’s easy to over do and soften the leather.

Why aren’t steel toes needed any longer?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Budget limit is $400 max. Steel toes no longer needed because I no longer work around F-16s.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    We are moving to a rainy summer/snowy cold winter location. Only boots I own are my .gov issue Bellevilles, one in black leather and the other in a tan suede, both steel toes which obviously is no longer needed. Was thinking about ordering the waterproof boots by Belleville which they say uses Gore-Tex. But that’s on the inside, so my feet stay dry but the outside leather will get wrecked by rain and snow, right? Principal use will be some trail hiking and mostly walking the city, mass transit, etc.
    Any input is gratefully appreciated.
    Just about everyone makes some sort of hiker with goretex or their own proprietary lining (exp KeenDry, B-Dry) which is some degree of water proof/resistant. Oboz, Keen, Merrell, Lowa, Salomon. A tougher backpacking boot is also GTG but sounds like more than you need. Seasonal changes can be more about the sock and less about the shoe. $400 gives you a lot of options.

Most days, I'm wearing these everywhere: https://obozfootwear.com/en-us/produ...mid-waterproof
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Salomon GTX - Comfortable for every day wear and the defacto standard, as far as I am concerned.

I had Vasque previously and they were excellent as well, but they went all hipster and shit and I can no longer find a boot they make that I like.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Budget limit is $400 max. Steel toes no longer needed because I no longer work around F-16s.
    $400 gives you a lot of very tough options like Lowa, Kennetrek and Crispi. For mostly urban use, something like Merrell or Keen would be fine for a lot less money. Personally, my light hikers are Lowa Renegades but my work and play are in the mountains.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I sincerely appreciate the excellent end user info and suggestions, many thanks to all who replied.

Unfortunately, most every brand identified in this thread is out of stock in my size, everywhere I’ve looked. I wear a Size 13 E in New Balance, and none of these brands seem to be available in my size, anywhere online … so far.

The search continues …
    Last edited by Buncheong; 04-22-22 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sorel & Danner (USA Made) are two additional. 13E is easy in New Balance, yet tough everywhere else as it's an additional last to manufacture. Another one could be Salewa as they do some goretex and I love my low versions for muddy range days, but not sure about the 13E.

Might be stuck with online for 13E Goretex, REI has 6, Backcountry has 8. Both have great return policies.

Noah

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I sincerely appreciate the excellent end user info and suggestions, many thanks to all who replied.

Unfortunately, most every brand identified in this thread is out of stock in my size, everywhere I’ve looked. I wear a Size 13 E in New Balance, and none of these brands seem to be available in my size, anywhere online … so far.

The search continues …
    What about these?
    13-wide, Oboz Bridger: https://theheel.com/products/oboz-br...35566576009379
    132E, Lowa Camino: https://theheel.com/products/lowa-ca...35462839500963
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Salomon GTX - Comfortable for every day wear and the defacto standard, as far as I am concerned.

I had Vasque previously and they were excellent as well, but they went all hipster and shit and I can no longer find a boot they make that I like.
    I’ve thought about those but I seem to blow the heels out on all of my Salomon’s. I’ve had 6 pair and the heel padding is always what goes first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast