Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please educate me on waterproof boots

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a pair of Salomon X Ultra Mid GTXs. They're ok. My only real complaint is I don't like the really thick tongue. They're light and pretty comfortable.

They replaced a pair of North Face hiking shoes that I liked a lot but I wore the super grippy soles out in about 60 trail miles. I don't recall the name of them but they appear to be discontinued.

Prior to those I had a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTXs. They were great. I still have and wear them after about 10 years. My only reason for straying from Asolo was looking for lighter footwear for my backpacking trips.

My ice fishing or late season hunting boot is a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers. They've been fantastic. I love them. I got the 1000 gram thinsulate version specifically for ice fishing. I'm considering a 2nd pair with less insulation for warmer seasons and more active pusuits. They're a leather boot with goretex. I use Nikwax to treat the leather. It's supposed to condition the leather but still let the membrane and leather breath. I've worn them for 4 or 5 seasons now and even though they show nicks and wear in the leather from ice chunks cutting them up they're been fine. Never had wet feet.

I did try on a pair of Crispis and that may be my next boot.

I think for light hiking and city use most of these are overkill. I'd be looking for a light boot similar to the salomon or a GTX hiking shoe.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    I’ve thought about those but I seem to blow the heels out on all of my Salomon’s. I’ve had 6 pair and the heel padding is always what goes first.
    I’ve never had that issue, but I am only 150 pounds, which may make a difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12