Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E15 Gasoline thoughts

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    All of those dealers sound EXPENSIVE except Red Mountain Chevron. I'll have to check that one out..

A gas can and a sharpie, and I'm on it. I'm may do this Sunday so I can monitor it over time to get an idea of how this might scale up for a vehicle. This will make my lawn mower run better too if it works.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Excellent. So here's my idea. If you fuel up and park your vehicle. Could you open the gas cap and allow the Ethanol to evaporate off?

Granted you'd effectively be increasing your fuel cost, but it would be better mileage and better for your car if it worked.
    No on all. Here's why.

Miles decrease even more from volume loss.

Evaporation only occurs at the surface area and is regulated/ governed by the diameter of the smallest point of escape to transfer. With is the size of your opening. Which is very small. Look in your filler neck.

Also you have to keep in mind that gasoline Evaporates also.

Your better off just using it in a big 5 gallon jug to speed up a weak fire.
    Last edited by gsd2053; 04-22-22 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsd2053 View Post
    Also you have to keep in mind that gasoline Evaporates also.
    Why you killing my dreams, man?

My hope was that the Ethanol would vape off at a much faster rate.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ethanol.shtml

"Due to ethanol's lower energy content, FFVs operating on E85 get roughly 15% to 27% fewer miles per gallon than when operating on regular gasoline, depending on the ethanol content. Regular gasoline typically contains about 10% ethanol.5"
    Some FFVs make their best HP on E85 though - I know thats true of the newer 5.3 GM V8s. The engines can run a more aggressive fuel/timing program. If E85 is 30% cheaper, its economically viable to buy it.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-22-22 at 15:13.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Some FFVs make their best HP on E85 though - I know thats true of the newer 5.3 GM V8s. The engines can run a more aggressive fuel/timing program. If E85 is 30% cheaper, its economically viable to buy it.
    Once upon a time 8-12 years ago, E85 was often 20-25% cheaper than gas. Not enough to make economic sense, but not too far off. Recently the few stations I've seen with E85 are charging only 3-5% less for it than regular gas (87). And that's in Wisconsin, a farm state.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My concern isn't with horsepower, but rather fuel efficiency gain and reducing the ethanol damage to components in my truck.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My concern isn't with horsepower, but rather fuel efficiency gain and reducing the ethanol damage to components in my truck.
    Guys, gasoline is volatile, so it will evaporate along with the alcohol if left in an open container. This is why having a tight seal on your gas tank is crucial every time you fill up. Lose caps compromise mpg because the fuel vapors in the tank will slowly bleed off when the cap is lose.
    A better way to separate ethanol is by washing the fuel. My buddy talked about this, basically adding water to gas, sealing the can, and shaking it. Then pour off into a sealed container with a low point drain, much like a fuel oil water separator on a diesel. The water mixes with the ethanol and sinks to the bottom. Drain the water/alcohol mix and the remainder is gasoline. I thought he was a bit kooky, but the very first hit on Duck Duck Go seems to support this: https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Ethanol-from-Gas

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You won’t get the ethanol to separate from the petrol. Gasses, as in the particle form not the commodity- don’t just separate, thank god as then all the nitrogen oxygen, co2, etc would separate and we wouldn’t be able to breath!

You can look up Ficks laws of gasses.

You’d have to distill the ethanol off of the petrol (don’t try it!) to accomplish this.

Just find a gas station where you can buy ethanol free fuel. Mostly by lakes for boats and for specialized race fuels for race cars.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You guys SUCK!

Feedback Score
    If you have a Buccees nearby they usually sell ethanol free gas. I buy it for my lawn mower and weed eater.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast