Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E15 Gasoline thoughts

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you’re running a lot of dome pressure it can be handy…

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Some boosted engines can make more power on E85 since it uses more fuel in the charge which has a cooling effect. Not too different from methanol/water injection systems for high compression engines.

I wouldn't use E85 if my vehicle wasn't designed for it though. Its not necessarily bad, just different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnPJ...el=ProjectFarm

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a 2017 Tundra FFV. I have done the calculations on the MPG and cost per mile. My cost per mile is roughly within a few cents of each other on low, mid, high and E85. Best mileage on high octane and worst on E85 but the math said it is costing me roughly the same amount of cash to go from A to B no matter what I spend to fill my tank up.

The only thing I can think might be a benefit of E85 is it might clean the fuel system out. Great for injectors, bad for everything leading up to the injectors because all the junk that gets broken free.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't Sta-Bil and Lucas make gas treatments that are supposed to counteract the negative aspects of ethanol fuel? I used to keep a bottle of Sta-Bil in the truck to use when I couldn't find pure 87 octane.
    Last edited by grizzman; 04-22-22 at 23:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know several guys that run nothing but E85 and E54( not sure on the second one). But they are running highly modified turbocharged cars making over 500 horsepower. They don't have issues with it.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Oh there's no question that the Ethanol fuel is exponential levels of fukktardation that does more harm than good. I'm trying to see if it's a good idea to vape off that shit from my gas tank when the vehicle isn't in use... or if that would even work.

I wish fuel level indicators were more precise. I'd open the cap over night and see if there were a measurable difference.
    No, your gasoline will also evaporate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The biggest problem with any E mixed fuel is that ethanol is hygroscopic. It will absorb water from the atmosphere over time, so it's absolutely terrible for any gasoline engine that is used infrequently. I am lucky in that Alaska doesn't have ethanol in any of it's fuel.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The biggest problem with any E mixed fuel is that ethanol is hygroscopic. It will absorb water from the atmosphere over time, so it's absolutely terrible for any gasoline engine that is used infrequently.
    This what I don't understand about the hygroscopic thing. Are they talking about bad for a lawn mower that sits all winter or a car that gets driven every day? I have a 2018 Grand Cherokee that I run Regular 88 from Sheetz exclusively. That is their E15 gas and I've been doing it for 4 years. Currently it is $3.59 and unleaded 87 octane is $3.99. Gas in northern VA is all 10 percent ethanol which from what I read could be 9 percent or 12 percent so I figure what's another 3 percent to make up 15 percent. When I drive down from my house in VA to my house in NC I get about 22mpg on 95 with E15 gas. Coming back from NC to VA on I95 I get about 23 to 24mpg on a fill up in NC from Sams club which I assume is 10 percent ethanol. so for .40 cents a gallon I don't see a huge difference in the mileage. David
    Last edited by dwhitehorne; 04-23-22 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    This what I don't understand about the hygroscopic thing. Are they talking about bad for a lawn mower that sits all winter or a car that gets driven every day?
    The hygroscopic issue is mostly a problem for equipment that sits unused, or cars where the owner runs on empty most of the time (resulting in more air in the tank and more condensation, so more water in the gas). If you go through gas constantly it's not much of an issue. Likewise, your 2018 Jeep would have a fuel system that can handle the corrosiveness.

So hey, like many DC solutions, if someone is a wealthy urbanite professional who doesn't do any of the icky blue-collar things and has the money for the newest stuff, E15 shouldn't be a problem! As an added bonus, the food shortages it will contribute to give them an opportunity for more virtue signaling and "OrangeManBad" tweets. (This is not pointed at dwhitehorne or anyone else posting, just an observation of how the self-important D base will be mostly unaffected.)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I looked up one of the stations mentioned. (red mountain Cheveron) and they sell it in 5 gal increments not at the pump. probably very expensive for boats and stuff.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast