Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sprinco or colt extractor springs?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Forget springco's garbage nonsense and stick with the correct parts. Eff me!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstud220 View Post
    I don’t think it’s hype at all I think it’s a quality spring and better than your standard extractor spring. I don’t get why some guys hate on sotar the guy just puts out good information trying to help people and is pretty knowledgeable.
    Changing out ALL of your springs 6 mos ago and now asking about changing them ALL out again is 'falling for the hype' brother.

Bet money you have not 'worn out' a single one yet on anything...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    It would be interesting if there were some type of definitive tests that could be conducted to settle debates like this. There have been a few industry professionals on here on both sides of the Colt spring vs the chrome silicon Sprinco version. Including some manufacturers that use the one or the other with positive results.
    Well . . .

All I know is that the original AR-15 from 1958 to circa 1967 were a single 5 coil music wire spring.

They didn't last very long, so they went with a pair of nested springs until 1972(ish)

Then they went to the four coil spring with a rubber buffer.

With the M4 they changed the buffer to a stiffer material.

Then they went to the gold spring made from heavier wire.

All of these changes were accompanied by exhaustive testing.

I am not a MIL-Spec for MIL-Spec sake kind'a guy, but if I want something that I know is "good enough to sake my life on", I know where to go. I also have a good idea of how long it will last (18 to 36 thousand rounds), and that is good enough for me. . .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Well . . .

All I know is that the original AR-15 from 1958 to circa 1967 were a single 5 coil music wire spring.

They didn't last very long, so they went with a pair of nested springs until 1972(ish)

Then they went to the four coil spring with a rubber buffer.

With the M4 they changed the buffer to a stiffer material.

Then they went to the gold spring made from heavier wire.

All of these changes were accompanied by exhaustive testing.

I am not a MIL-Spec for MIL-Spec sake kind'a guy, but if I want something that I know is "good enough to sake my life on", I know where to go. I also have a good idea of how long it will last (18 to 36 thousand rounds), and that is good enough for me. . .
    Not sure if there are as many different extractor springs as there are BCG's?

However the two most recommended are the Colt gold and the Sprinco. The Colt spring quality is not controversial while there is some controversy over the Sprinco.

That being said I have not seen any evidence that the Sprinco extractor spring is not equally as good as the Colt Spring.

A direct comparison test would be interesting...
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Changing out ALL of your springs 6 mos ago and now asking about changing them ALL out again is 'falling for the hype' brother.

Bet money you have not 'worn out' a single one yet on anything...
    How much money do you want to bet? The reason I swapped them to Sprinco in the first place is because I had one that needed to be replaced. It had almost no tension to it whatsoever and ejection was weak. When I did it I changed my extractor and ejector springs in all of my guns to just be done with it.

I don’t think it falling for hype because someone seeks to use the best parts available to them. So far no one has any actual reasons on why they dislike Sprinco or negative experiences they’ve had with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12