Thread: Optics, Lasers, Illuminators on small SBR *mall ninja warning

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Optics, Lasers, Illuminators on small SBR *mall ninja warning

I’ve been accumulating various items on a gradual move toward night vision. Just because I want to, I think it’s cool, and it could maybe in some scenario be useful. But mostly because I want to. The NVG/NODs themselves will be the last purchase.

Though I have been setting up an 11.5” suppressed-only upper for this, I’m considering adjusting over to the 7” 300 BLK (MCMR-5 handguard). I figure that any situation where I will be in the dark may also benefit from as quiet and small as possible. This would present real estate challenges. It seems like a foregrip would be a necessity; the foregrip might even be beneficial without any of this stuff, that 5” handguard is smaller than I’m used to.

What I have:
    1. Steiner CQBL - Vis+IR lasers
    2. Surefire X300U or M300 or M600DF (currently with Reptilia right side)
    3. UE or DS plugs
    4. Modbutton Lite dual lead (1913)
    5. Modbutton Lite Surefire (1913)
    6. Hotbutton M-Lok
    7. (Not purchased: Luna Elir3 with Surefire plug adaptor or EU competitor)
    8. Trijicon MRO on Scalarworks 1.93 or 1.57

Current setup for 11.5 5.56:
    MRO on 1.93
    CQBL on top 1913 full forward. Reptilia/Surefire right side. Modbutton Lite for Surefire immediately behind the CQBL. I don’t need a pistol grip, but I am using now essentially as an experiment with my shoulder.

If I set up on the tiny upper, I’m open. The CQBL seems to have been designed for mounting on the side of micro PCC’s, and doing so lets me go with the 1.57 optic mount. But not sure if a 1913 segment via M-LOK is secure enough for a laser. Are there downsides to mounting the laser on the side in a small package? I know Jeff Gurwitch advocates this as an option.
    Also, curious how others have mounted the Elir3. I’ve got an Arisaka inline scout mount that I thought about drilling for it. It seems too tall for the top rail and anything to tuck it in would be good.

CQBL- 3:00
    Elir3 - 1:30
    M300 - 11:30 (remote or tailcap)

General thoughts, things you’ve done with optics/lasers/switches/mounting options (inline/offset mounts, etc) on a small handguard, especially if you’ve used any of the items mentioned?

I’m thinking about this in context with the small upper, but thoughts on best application on a 10.75 URX are welcome.

Edit: spelling
    Last edited by JediGuy; 04-23-22 at 07:58.

Feedback Score
    I did something similar to this on a Sig rattler. https://soldiersystems.net/2020/01/2...r-mini-ir-voc/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    5" handguard? Sounds terrible. What rail are you currently using?

My "night fighting" SBR is a MK18, though I confess an 11.5 or 12.5" would be a better beast. If you plan on loading it up, you are going to want a rail longer than 7" (IMHO).

Centurion Arms has a great line up of handguards, though BCM is certainly no slouch.

Do you plan on weapon mounting the gun? As in PVS14 on the weapon?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    So I myself am just getting into all this as well but I will parrot what Stick said about the rail. I use a BCM 11.5 w/ the MCMR 10 inch rail. With pressure pads and no front sight, the rail is just long enough. I am running a PEQ 15 and scout light. PEQ is at 12 O'clock and light is 3 O'clock with KAC MLOK mount so it is nice and snug to the gun. Depending on your optic and can night vision setups get heavy. Having a separate illuminator and laser seems clunky.

My set up (not that I am an authority on this) is 12 O'clock PEQ, 3 O'clock white light, and SF UE07 (the one with button for constant and long pad for momentary) that is snugged up as tight as possible behind the PEQ. I have a BCM grip up front that actually might be getting pulled off in exchange for a handstop or something. I just use the top button on the PEQ to activate it. I can do this without changing my hand position. The reason I didn't do the mod button and dual leads and all that is because I just didn't know how I would want to activate it so all this might change with time.

I would also spend time with your night vision, if helmet/head mounted, and just bumble around with it and get used to it. One of the things I wasn't really ready for was the depth perception issues. You just have to understand the limitations of the devices and build new skills around it.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Couple things…

The handguard is an MCMR that (on top) is actually just over 5.5”. Upper is this one:
    https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-stan...r-5-handguard/

You probably took that picture, Stick!

No plans to mount the night vision on the weapon.
    I’ve currently got a really clean BRT 11.5” suppressed-only upper with a 10.75” URX. It’s great, plenty of real estate.
    The idea to see what I could do with the 300 BLK upper is just because it is so light and small…it’s awesome. I figured why not see about setting it up instead.

Feedback Score
    The Luna comes with a thumbscrew standard rail mount. When you first get it, back the screw out of the mount a little bit, put Loc tite in and then tighten the screw again. If it stays on your rifle and you do a fair amount of shooting this will be necessary.

Edit, read the last post
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com