Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NFA Question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    If only there were an NFA forum for these types of topics.
    You know what would be even better than an NFA forum, if .gov was made to understand what “shall not be infringed” ****ing means.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    There's not really any disadvantages, there just aren't as many advantages as there used to be to bother with setting up a trust.
    I've always done my NFA items as an individual because I didn't have a CLEO that wouldn't signoff. I actually have a coworker who was told at a gun shop that you have to have a trust in order to own an NFA item. He was convinced of it. Only the fact that I owned several without a trust changed his mind.

Personally, I didn't buy any of my NFA items to share with so I don't see that advantage.
    I agree. I don't want anyone touching my guns while I'm not there. A disadvantage of a trust is that you're on parity with others. They can sell items in a trust just like you can.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I've always done my NFA items as an individual because I didn't have a CLEO that wouldn't signoff. I actually have a coworker who was told at a gun shop that you have to have a trust in order to own an NFA item. He was convinced of it. Only the fact that I owned several without a trust changed his mind.

I agree. I don't want anyone touching my guns while I'm not there. A disadvantage of a trust is that you're on parity with others. They can sell items in a trust just like you can.
    I have my wife on my trust. I was in a bad car accident a year ago literally days before we were supposed to move. I was going to be in the hospital for a while, so my wife had some of our friends come over to move all the guns. They made the guns temporarily non-NFA, for lack of a better term, by separating the uppers on the ARs and the barrels on the shotguns. One guy took the receivers in one car and one the uppers/barrels in another car. They gave the suppressors to my wife to take. Now the chances of anything LEO related were slim, but this was a legal way to move everything.

ETA: My wife could look in the safe and not tell you what anything is, and has no idea what the NFA is. When I told her I was putting her on the trust, she said “I guess I own a gun now.” I’m not worried about her selling anything. Of course she also drove around with a couple suppressors in her glovebox the entire time I was in the hospital and rehab simply because she didn’t know any better, so there’s that.

ETA: In case anyone is wondering, I found the section that states that removing the NFA “feature” renders the NFA item no longer NFA:
    "Section 2.5 Removal of firearms from the scope of the NFA by modification/elimination of
    components.
    Firearms, except machineguns and silencers, that are subject to the NFA fall within the various
    definitions due to specific features. If the particular feature that causes a firearm to be regulated by the
    NFA is eliminated or modified, the resulting weapon is no longer an NFA weapon."
    Last edited by john armond; 05-20-22 at 19:01.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Deleted.
    Last edited by georgeib; 05-20-22 at 18:31.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by john armond; 05-20-22 at 19:01.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123