Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor SRP Versus LRP

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)

6.5 Creedmoor SRP Versus LRP

Well, this is good news bad news thing, I ended up getting a 6.5 @ a local shop used and got a good deal on a Rem 700. Anyway, I had some 6.5 brass from range pickup and a few buddies so I loaded some up, all went well with decent results already. Also, I bought 300 pull-down primmed FC 6.5 creed brass from American Reloading at a great price, brass is all bright & clean, good news. Not really but the bad news is the brass was not listed with SRP on AR and I never noticed when loading and shooting but after sizing and going to clean the primer pocket I noticed they are SRP brass! I have always heard about them and some guys love them, others not so much. I went over to Snipers Hide and pretty much the same thing, some say no big deal others it's a love-hate thing. So just wondering what some of you guys think that have played with both. I do have access to 900 yards this summer and will be playing around there but that's about max in my area. I'm not a competitor, just a reg guy who likes to shoot and appreciates a good shooting/accurate rifle & these show potential already. So, what are your guys' thoughts on this, is there any real difference anyone has noticed? Thanks for your thoughts.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    One of my 6.5s is a shorter barreled gun and I run a hotter load with it so I’m at same velocity as the longer barreled guns.
    Less DOPE to screw with.
    I run SRP brass with it as I get more loadings out of them as primer pockets don’t loosen as quick with thicker web/case head than the LRPs.
    My preference is Lapua cases but the Starline work ok as well. Haven’t tried any others.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Easier to find SRP right now. I bought a couple of boxes of SRP Peterson .260 brass for that reason. I'm going to start load re-development soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Thanks, guys. Yes, I did read that about the primer pockets lasting a long time. If you don't anneal, they say the case necks will split before the primer pocket goes. Like I said I got 300 new/pulldown cases from American reloading so I should be good for a while. I have looked at Starline but it's back ordered right now when the 357 was back ordered last year I still put my orders in and had it in like 2 weeks so I might do the same with the 6.5.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    6.5 small rifle works good for me. I've use BR-4 and ARmatch primers in Lapua brass with IMR 4350.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've used both and both work, however, given the choice, I tend to buy LRP brass for that cartridge. SRP seems like it may cause ignition issues in less than optimal conditions. I too use 4350 and can't remember if it is I or H but they're roughly the same.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    6.5 small rifle works well for me. I've used BR-4 and ARmatch primers in Lapua brass with IMR 4350.
    Ah, good to know, I actually used H4350 1st then 5 rds I used Varget and they were a bit smaller, everything else was the same except the 10 with the Federal SRP & those I used the H4350. I have a couple of cans of IMR4350 so I will drag that out and give it a try. I have a box of Hornady ELD 140 Match bullets but just put an order in @ Shooters Pro Shop for 500 Nosler 140 RDF bullets, so will see how they fly. Will update as we go.

Here are my 1st shots from the rifle. And at the time I didn't realize I even had SRP in the mix, I have a ton of CCI Match LRP but no SRP ones, I have about 1500 Federal Match SR. I have 500 old Wolf and about 9500 of the Tula SRP. markm you ever compared them with the old-school wolf, I got them about the same time!
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 03-02-24 at 18:58.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I've used both and both work, however, given the choice, I tend to buy LRP brass for that cartridge. SRP seems like it may cause ignition issues in less than optimal conditions. I too use 4350 and can't remember if it is I or H but they're roughly the same.
    I've sorta sidelined the small rifle primer brass just because I've accumulated so much Hornady brass from guys who don't reload.

It's easier to use one recipe at a time. For small rifle primer, I'd avoid the Wolf SRMs because they're too mild, but AR Match and BR-4s are plenty hot enough to fire reliably.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've sorta sidelined the small rifle primer brass just because I've accumulated so much Hornady brass from guys who don't reload.

It's easier to use one recipe at a time. For small rifle primer, I'd avoid the Wolf SRMs because they're too mild, but AR Match and BR-4s are plenty hot enough to fire reliably.
    Sounds good markm,thanks for the info. I would of never bought the SRP brass knowingly,its what American reloading had and they didn't designate what it was other than pull-down FC 6.5 brass so here we are,LOL Still a decent deal,I think it was like $130ish for 300 shipped. I'll keep loading the Hornady that I have along with some other range pick up and just look for deals/sales on Hornady or others that I can get a fair amount @ a fair price.I have a bunch of Peterson's 308 brass that I bought on sale years ago and that stuff holds up well,I can find 6.5 for around $50 bucks per 50 so maybe I'll bite the bullet and grab some of that. I know Lapua is the king but don't see a reason to spend $100 bucks for 50 pieces,LOL Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've had good luck running SRP Lapua brass with CCI 450s. I think you'll do great.