Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Primer showdown: WOLF vs. CCI #41

Feedback Score
    What rifles were you guys shooting, and what is your setup? Bench rest, bipod, rear bag etc?

Once I put a bag rider on my AT-X it really helped clean up the vertical dispersion by letting the bag work.

For example:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Those groups were shot with a bipod in the front with a small squeeze bag in the rear.

I have a bald eagle rest and a rear bag with ears, but I only shoot with them when trying to eek out every bit of accuracy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    What rifles were you guys shooting, and what is your setup? Bench rest, bipod, rear bag etc?

Once I put a bag rider on my AT-X it really helped clean up the vertical dispersion by letting the bag work.
    I use a Atlas Cal Bipod (BT65-LW17) and an old rabbit ear rear bag off the bench. My bench/load development groups also improved when I added an Arisaka Bag Rider SL & Stock Angle adapter to both my Magpul SL & Magpul SL-S stocks.

Feedback Score
    Bag riders are the shit. I only discovered this a few weeks ago. So much easier to clean up your position and keep natural point of aim!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Thanks for the measurement. While I do struggle with vertical stringing, that group was shot with some random 62 and 77 grain ammo left over from several reloading/sessions.

The 69 3GH just doesn't like this barrel, but isn't much better in my other gun either.
    Good to know. I usually stick with 69gr and 77gr SMK’s myself.

I have tried to develop loads with other stuff like Berger bullets, but they’ve always been more sensitive than I like.

After a phone discussion with one of the guys who helped start Bartlein barrels I will continue to stick to Sierra, Hornady, and Lapua for projectiles if I’m chasing precision. He said those manufacturers hold the best consistency of bullet diameter, and base to ogive length of all the mass produced match bullets they’ve measured. Plus they’re pretty forgiving of variations in distance off the lands, and usually give a generous seating depth window.

My 6.5mm Bartlein loves Hornady ELD-M’s. Particularly 140’s but shot lights out with 120’s, and does very well with 147’s too. I have some 130’s loaded pending testing to see how they do.

Also if you don’t have it, the Balistic-X app is great. Just take pictures with your phone of targets, and as long as you have a reference like a measuring tape or 1” square zero target grid you can do the group measurements thing without calipers etc.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 02-18-24 at 23:53.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031