Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnum Primers for AR loads

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Magnum Primers for AR loads

Its been a while since I've used any magnum primers for any of my AR loads. My inclination is to ignore the difference as I typically use all primers interchangeably.

Do you typically load down for Magnum primers or do you load with what you normally load?

The batch I am working on now will use TAC under a 77gr SMK. I used 24.5 gr with a standard primer.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If the load is near the top end of pressure/velocity, I'd drop a half grain and test it. Nothing more annoying than loading a bunch of ammo where the primers pop out. Believe me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If the load is near the top end of pressure/velocity, I'd drop a half grain and test it. Nothing more annoying than loading a bunch of ammo where the primers pop out. Believe me.
    Thanks, that is wise advice. This batch will be 100 rounds, so I don't want to pull 100 bullets.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Thanks, that is wise advice. This batch will be 100 rounds, so I don't want to pull 100 bullets.
    I just end up shooting them, but it sucks if a primer gets lodged in the upper.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't change anything, based on whether the primers are magnum, or standard, for ARs.

For that matter, neither with pistol.

I don't load anything for rifle at max. I do for pistol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used 24.2 grains of TAC and CCI 450 primers under Nosler 77 grain CC bullets in LC Brass . This yielded me the best accuracy and 2677 FPS from my 18" barreled 5.56 chambered AR. Quickload says that's a 54,961 PSI load.

I've found that TAC getting a bit squirrely in high heat as often found in NC in August, and I'm transitioning over to VV N140 for more temp stability for my 77 grain loads that are for longish range use.

Won't be able to finalize this N140 load until it gets hotter here, but 24.4 grains of VV N140 looks like the ticket.

I'm relegating TAC to my 62 grain Gold Dot Loads (25.2 grains of TAC) were it's more comfortable, with 50000 PSI loads, as shots with that combo are used for mostly under 200 yd targets.
    Last edited by BobinNC; 02-16-24 at 12:24.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I don't load anything for rifle at max. I do for pistol.
    I try to wring out every bit of velocity I can for long range, so primer swaps can really tip a hot load over the edge.

With the Garmin Chrono, we are learning way more about our ammo because we can monitor EVERY shot fired out of every barrel if we want.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    I used 24.2 grains of TAC and CCI 450 primers under Nosler 77 grain CC bullets in LC Brass . This yielded me the best accuracy and 2677 FPS from my 18" barreled 5.56 chambered AR. Quickload says that's a 54,961 PSI load.

I've found that TAC getting a bit squirrely in high heat as often found in NC in August, and I'm transitioning over to VV N140 for more temp stability for my 77 grain loads that are for longish range use.

Won't be able to finalize this N140 load until it gets hotter here, but 24.4 grains of VV N140 looks like the ticket.

I'm relegating TAC to my 62 grain Gold Dot Loads (25.6 grains of TAC) were it's more comfortable, with 52000 PSI loads, as shots with that combo are used for mostly under 200 yd targets.
    Is there a way to specify primers in QL? I've never seen that as an option? 24.5 is fairly aggressive so I may back it down to the level you've shot as those are the primers I am now using. (Didn't realize I had bought magnums, but they were in stock and I grabbed them at some point back when prices were reasonable.)
    Last edited by HKGuns; 02-16-24 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Is there a way to specify primers in QL? I've never seen that as an option? 24.5 is fairly aggressive so I may back it down to the level you've shot as those are the primers I am now using. (Didn't realize I had bought magnums, but they were in stock and I grabbed them at some point back when prices were reasonable.)
    HKGuns,

Specify primers?? Not that I'm aware of in Quickload.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    HKGuns,

Specify primers?? Not that I'm aware of in Quickload.
    Ok, thanks, didn't think so.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast