Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer showdown: WOLF vs. CCI #41

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Primer showdown: WOLF vs. CCI #41

I don't think I've ever tried CCI 41 primers... or at least with any ammo worth assessing them.

Sportsmans warehouse near by got a bunch of them in and were rationing 200 per customer.

Now that we have a super accurate gun with a great scope that makes shooting groups somewhat enjoyable, I'm going to load up some Lapua Brass with some 77 gr OTMs and compare these two.

It'll be interesting to see how CCI 41s stack up against the champ!

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    You're all up in my feelings with this one! Sure do wish we could still grab 5k Wolf primers for $100.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    You're all up in my feelings with this one! Sure do wish we could still grab 5k Wolf primers for $100.
    Tell me about it. I've been having to load all 5.56 ammo with them lately. I figure we might as well use our best primers when our eyes still work to some degree. No point in saving them until we're too old to shoot em good.

Scaring up some regular domestic primers helps my anxiety.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    Oh yea, I'm in on this one !! Yup, I remember $14.95 for 1K Wolf Primers from Wideners back in the day! So I guess with hazmat & shipping you are looking @ $100 for a 5K sleeve, man those were the days! So kinda torn for ya markm, I know how you & PB covet the Wolf primers & probably still have more than any 10 people in the country,( I still have 1K myself) LOL but going forward it would be nice to see ya find an alternative that works for you guys! Will be looking forward to some range trips & the results you get!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Lord I remember the $14.95 per thousand shipments. Now I get emails from Brunos selling some unknown primers for $700 per 5k. Wow!

I think if I could get 10k of any primer, I'd go with Winchester WSRs. Not as hot as Federal. Just a decent work horse primer.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Lord I remember the $14.95 per thousand shipments. Now I get emails from Brunos selling some unknown primers for $700 per 5k. Wow!

I think if I could get 10k of any primer, I'd go with Winchester WSRs. Not as hot as Federal. Just a decent workhorse primer.
    Oh good lord, yes those were the best of times,LOL I know I bought at least 25K of those primers @ those prices, about 1/2 & 1/2 of SPP & SRP, good stuff. I agree with the Winny primers I have always had good luck with any of them & are the LRP of choice in my 30/06 Custom Rem 700. I don't have access to the longer ranges you guys have but out to 700 they always shot/worked the best out of that rifle. There are primers around @ much better prices than $700 for 5K,just depends on what ya need & want but yea that's silly. I'm still good for a long time but will hope for better days ahead !

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I also have some of the WOLF .223 primers which are a little different. When I tested them years back, they were a tad better than the WOLF SRMs. I can't remember if Wideners was where I got those, but I think so.

We run the WIN LRP in 300 Win Mag. They're just trouble free.

I'm going to tumble and even anneal the Lapua Brass today. I think I'll do chrono and groups separately because I prefer the Magnetospeed. And that could mess with barrel harmonics for the group portion. I bet the 41s boost the velocity 30 fps.

Feedback Score
    Still shooting the $14.95/K specials here, but have mixed in along the way various Winchester, Federal and CCi offerings. About 2 years ago I did a test where the only variable was the primer and found that for the lots I had; CCi 450's gave me the best SD/ES's for the load that I tried. Basically 77 OTM/23.2 IMR 8208 XBR and once fired LC brass processed to the best of my ability. When all was said and done I came away thinking that if I had changed to a different load would the results have been the same.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. My long lost big primer test was all H322 powder... And then I just rolled that selection into IMR 8208 without really doing any testing. I'm sure if you have the patience, you can match a primer to each individual load.

I'm pretty impatient, and I figured the powders are in the same family (faster burning benchrest extruded) so.. screw it. We're down to one pound of XBR right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah. My long lost big primer test was all H322 powder... And then I just rolled that selection into IMR 8208 without really doing any testing. I'm sure if you have the patience, you can match a primer to each individual load.

I'm pretty impatient, and I figured the powders are in the same family (faster burning benchrest extruded) so.. screw it. We're down to one pound of XBR right now.

I feel your pain
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast