Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer showdown: WOLF vs. CCI #41

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    That's crazy. I'm looking for an available primer to replace Wold SRM, probably won't be CCI #41s...

How much does the suppressor contribute to pressure?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    That's crazy. I'm looking for an available primer to replace Wold SRM, probably won't be CCI #41s...

How much does the suppressor contribute to pressure?
    I can only guess that the suppressor is adding to the problem. 41s and Wolf are complete opposite primers. For me, I'd be fine with Federal or Win SR primers. The SDs are maybe not as tight, but they're not going to yield excess pressure.

I want to see if I have any Remmington Magnum in small rifle to cross check. I think the CCI 41 and fast poweder combined with a relatively heavy bullet is a problem. It's clearly yielding an early pressure spike. But it shouldn't be THAT big of a problem.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    markm,

I suspect your problem is both a primer and powder one. Some primers react with certain powders differently. Johnny's Reloading bench videos give a good illustration of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7KVBWChnyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaYKzLHWYvU

And here's another primer test with a different result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a69VBkT_Mxo

CCI 41's did not always yield the highest velocities and one would suspect pressure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    I suspect your problem is both a primer and powder one.

CCI 41's did not always yield the highest velocities and one would suspect pressure.
    For sure the powder is a factor. H322 is on the faster side. My thought is that there's something with the new production primers that could be different than older production. I'd love to test older/newer CCIs head to head... maybe I'm completely wrong. It just seems that I've read some concerns with the current run of 41s.

And yeah... I can safely get much more velocity with other primers. I'd love to see the pressure curves lined out with various combinations.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    For sure the powder is a factor. H322 is on the faster side. My thought is that there's something with the new production primers that could be different than older production. I'd love to test older/newer CCIs head to head... maybe I'm completely wrong. It just seems that I've read some concerns with the current run of 41s.

And yeah... I can safely get much more velocity with other primers. I'd love to see the pressure curves lined out with various combinations.
    To add to this, the 69's at higher pressure and 41s for me reduced the SD... just a data point.

Im swiching to 75s and TAC which im hoping is decent. I can only get cci primers and theyre all crap from what I can tell (same SD, just less velocity with 400 and BR4 when using h322)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yep. And here it is out of another gun (10.5 with suppressor)

Plenty of signs that you need to ease off on the load and that your particular rifles that you want to shoot these loads from do not like that sort of loading but...

You keep on shooting them in those rifles.

Ok.

Feedback Score
    And mixed brass? No clue about empirical comparisons, but I am superstitious (in an effort to cover for my ignorance). Butt again, I had swipes with 41's during a load workup with weight sorted brass.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
    And mixed brass? No clue about empirical comparisons, but I am superstitious (in an effort to cover for my ignorance). Butt again, I had swipes with 41's during a load workup with weight sorted brass.
    Unlike 308, almost all 223 brass is very close in weight/capacity. Norma & MEN are a little beefier, but this load should have plenty of margin for error based solely on velocity. I still have yet to find a load (even with slower powders) that these CCI 41s don't ruin the brass. Every time I think I'm there, I'll load up a hundred rounds for next weekend and bam! More swipes/blown primers.

Feedback Score
    Been a while since I've loaded 308, but yeah, call it grain and a half weight spread on a thou same lot 223/556 cases? And yeah, distribution of material prolly influences case volume, etc. I weight sort to get the +.9s away from the -.8s. Won't specifically say main body of groups are smaller, but I feel flyers not as extreme, and since it seems if I keep shooting, the flyers fill in making a group of sorts.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'll pull known heavy brass and run it separate if I can. But we'll sometimes sort loaded ammo by headstamp of we need 5-10 same brass ammo for a group or something.

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast