Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer showdown: WOLF vs. CCI #41

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I don’t have any fancy powders, but that kind of supports having the correct powder / primer combo for good results.
    And in TYPICAL CCI 41 fashion... After testing the load, I loaded up a few hundred rounds and Saturday they were popping primers again. This is the second time I've been mother Fukked by these primers. I even ran chamber brushes in my ARs to make sure there wasn't a carbon ring contributing to pressure spikes. So Annoyed.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    And in TYPICAL CCI 41 fashion... After testing the load, I loaded up a few hundred rounds and Saturday they were popping primers again. This is the second time I've been mother Fukked by these primers. I even ran chamber brushes in my ARs to make sure there wasn't a carbon ring contributing to pressure spikes. So Annoyed.
    Very interesting. CCI 41s are all I have used to reload; Hornsby 75 gr BTHP, 69 gr SMKs and 77 gr TMKs, no issues. Powders used were CFE 223, Ramshot TAC and XBR 8208 (was working a load for my Mk12).
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Very interesting. CCI 41s are all I have used to reload; Hornsby 75 gr BTHP, 69 gr SMKs and 77 gr TMKs, no issues. Powders used were CFE 223, Ramshot TAC and XBR 8208 (was working a load for my Mk12).
    Are your primers new production? I mean... the load itself shot great. We ran 2 bolt guns all the way out on the steel and had great hits. But jumped into the gas guns and had at least 5 popped primers. All I can do is drop the powder charge at least a half grain, I guess.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Are your primers new production? I mean... the load itself shot great. We ran 2 bolt guns all the way out on the steel and had great hits. But jumped into the gas guns and had at least 5 popped primers. All I can do is drop the powder charge at least a half grain, I guess.
    They were produced within the past 10 years, not sure on exact year. They are definitely not anything made since 2020–my guess is most were made between 2014-2016. I have about 25k.

I don’t own any .223 bolt guns, all mine are gas. I have only shot those heavy loads from my Mk 12 which is a Rainier Arms UM barrel with 223 Wilde chamber. No signs of pressure or swiping.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 05-22-23 at 10:56.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I mean it is wild, Mark loaded those rounds and we tested in multiple guns. Gas and bolt and no signs of swipe, safe velocities and we were like, FINALLY we have a load for these primers. We actually joked about it driving out, " watch these primers blow shit up today after they ran like a charm".

I wondered if there could be QC issues with the primers because this just doesn't make sense.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    They were produced within the past 10 years, not sure on exact year. They are definitely not anything made since 2020–my guess is most were made between 2014-2016. I have about 25k.
    I bet I could sub a hundo of your primers in and have no problems. I gave the carbon ring possibiltiy a shot, but that doesn't appear to be a factor.... short of me buying a bore scope to look. And the same guns worked fine the week prior.

Feedback Score
    Are you getting other pressure signs?
    Are you positive you dont have loose pockets? Ive been running hot loads (2650fps 75gr rmr, 16"barrel) with CCI41s and no popped primers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Are you getting other pressure signs?
    Are you positive you dont have loose pockets? Ive been running hot loads (2650fps 75gr rmr, 16"barrel) with CCI41s and no popped primers.
    The brass had some swipes too. I hand prim on a sinclair tool, so I get a really good feel for every primer. This was the AAC brass, but these primers have been a problem in all kinds of brass. I didn't re-chrono the ammo because I was just disgusted at the whole damned thing.

Feedback Score
    Wierd, im getting the same velocity between 2 lits of 41s and a lot of fed 205's.

SDs arent great, but no crazy pressure. I got popped primers in 1 rifle out of 4, and just chaljed it up to a tight chamber in that gun. 2 of the fine ones are wilde chambers, the other and the popping barrel are both 556 chambers.

Any new lot i typically load 3 and check velocity since im high 223/556 pressure.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Shit. I need to shoot some of this load in my White Oak Wylde chamber for the hell of it. It's good ammo at a good velocity, but jamming ARs with pieces of primer cups and anvils is a pain in the ass.

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast