Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer showdown: WOLF vs. CCI #41

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I miss the cheap primer days. Im still sitting on 10k Wolf SRM and Wolf 223 primers.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    I miss the cheap primer days. Im still sitting on 10k Wolf SRM and Wolf 223 primers.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Which is why you have always been my hero.

I'm like a lot of folks, I think. I've only got about 2K primers left, and debating when I actually use them. With stuff going "on sale" for a dime apiece, it's a tough decision for me to make.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If I may, a slight thread drift?
    Are the Wolf small pistol primers any good? A friend has some he's offering in trade.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    I'm about 25k now and starting to sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    If I may, a slight thread drift?
    Are the Wolf small pistol primers any good? A friend has some he's offering in trade.
    Get them! Russian primers are very good. I think I shot some of those years back. Pistol primers are way less critical (precision wise). They just need to go bang.

I'd take as many of any kind of Russian primer I could get.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I know. This thing is slow. I'm just used to the suffering.
    The RCBS thing is cool in the respect that you don't have to LOOK at what you are doing once the tray is loaded up. It becomes a 'sit on the couch and watch a movie while you do it' thing.

The tray that holds the primers IS a flip tray (the little ribs on the bottom that catch the edges and flip upside down primers) but once the lid goes on they can't flip at all. As you squeeze the handle a steel 'gate' blocks the primers in the tray from the one you are seating. There is no chance in hell of the one you are seating accidentally setting off a chain reaction with the others in the tray...

I prefer hand priming myself vs doing it on the press.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Which is why you have always been my hero.

I'm like a lot of folks, I think. I've only got about 2K primers left, and debating when I actually use them. With stuff going "on sale" for a dime apiece, it's a tough decision for me to make.
    I noticed the new 'regular' prices as well. Hate to say it but I seriously do not see them going down at the bigger vendors any time soon.

I would not suggest 'stocking up' at these current prices but I doubt anyone would lose much by maintaining their current levels of stocks / supplies.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This test turned to crap. Friday night I was running the ammo on the chargemaster and getting all kinds of weird neck tension swings and terrible OAL inconsistency. The ammo was so bad, I ran a separate set of 10 each with LC brass and 69 gr bullets.

With the Super Duty, I'd been shooting sub MOA like crazy for the past month with almost any good ammo. Saturday I couldn't get sub MOA with the 77s or the 69s so I couldn't learn anything about the impact of accuracy from the primers. Everything was shooting 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" BUT...

Not all was lost. We got some very interesting Chrono data at least.

With the 69gr RMR OTM with H322 22.9 gr:

Wolf primers shot 2831 fps SD of 14.6

CCI #41s shot 2917 fps SD of 13.7

An 86 fps boost!!

With the 77 gr Noslers and 21.6 gr H322:

Wolf shot 2681 fps SD of 11.0

CCI #41s shot 2741 fps 12.1 SD

A boost of 60 fps!!
    Last edited by markm; 05-02-22 at 10:26.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This test turned to crap. Friday night I was running the ammo on the chargemaster and getting all kinds of weird neck tension swings and terrible OAL inconsistency. The ammo was so bad, I ran a separate set of 10 each with LC brass and 69 gr bullets.

With the Super Duty, I'd been shooting sub MOA like crazy for the past month with almost any good ammo. Saturday I couldn't get sub MOA with the 77s or the 69s so I couldn't learn anything about the impact of accuracy from the primers. Everything was shooting 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" BUT...

Not all was lost. We got some very interesting Chrono data at least.

With the 69gr RMR OTM with H322 22.9 gr:

Wolf primers shot 2831 fps SD of 14.6

CCI #41s shot 2917 fps SD of 13.7

An 86 fps boost!!

With the 77 gr Noslers and 21.6 gr H322:

Wolf shot 2681 fps SD of 11.0

CCI #41s shot 2741 fps 12.1 SD

A boost of 60 fps!!
    Markm,

What barrel length for those velocities??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sorry... Yeah. 16" Geissele Super Duty.

I would LOVE to see the actual pressure curve on these two different burns.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Those are good velocities. Are those typical, or is the current lot of H322 giving a boost?

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast