Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super high rise optics----thoughts?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Super high rise optics----thoughts?

Hey guys,

I keep noticing that sights keep going higher and higher. My understanding is that this is because the High Speed guys started using more passive night vision options so they don't want to try and get a cheek weld with all that gear on their heads. But Now people seem to be doing it on guns and they really aren't running NVG. Is this just a style thing or are people really seeing a benefit to this? I remember people used to freak out when people would run RMRs on top of ACOGs but now that seems like a regular height over bore for some folks. Aren't these setups suboptimal in terms of offset?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The highest I’ve gone was 1.93 and that was with an LPVO. I liked it but when Badger did the 1.7, I found that to be perfect. So I’m speaking out of turn since I haven’t tried higher.

At best, I think it’s a very niche thing. Probably, within that niche, there’s legitimacy. But I also think that some of it is bro/brand crushes and people thinking that if former DEVGRU guys use it, then it must be good for them too. Maybe, maybe not.

Either way, I know that being able to see and shoot through a VTAC well is more practical to me than having a 17” high dot and 15” high laser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Depends how you prefer to shoot. I've gravitated to 1.93 in RDS and LPVO. Bone structure, type of ear pro, etc also play a part.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hey guys,

I keep noticing that sights keep going higher and higher. My understanding is that this is because the High Speed guys started using more passive night vision options so they don't want to try and get a cheek weld with all that gear on their heads. But Now people seem to be doing it on guns and they really aren't running NVG. Is this just a style thing or are people really seeing a benefit to this? I remember people used to freak out when people would run RMRs on top of ACOGs but now that seems like a regular height over bore for some folks. Aren't these setups suboptimal in terms of offset?
    RMR piggybacked on ACOG height-over-rail is roughly 2.85", which is still a substantial jump over the 2.26"(Unity FAST) and 2.33" (KAC Skyscraper) heights that have gained ground.

Tall mounts in general tend to give you a more natural head position, as you're now more heads-up. They also allow for better interfacing with pro masks and passive aiming under NODs. Beyond that, they also allow one to sink the stock lower into the shoulder pocket to allow for better recoil management.

For my body and face structure, while I could passively aim under NODs without too much difficulty with a 1.93" mount, adding in a pro mask made it rather awkward again, particularly when paired with NODs. At 2.26", NODs with pro mask wasn't too bad at all.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    For going really fast up close, Jason Falla showed me what was possible for this, it really is comically quick, and if you want to run NOD from behind them in passive aiming mode, it's actually pretty solid.
    It's a chinweld position, and really just lends itself to not leaning on magnification for me, but if you're trying to go fast up close, and understand that you'll have some POI offset within rock-chucking distance, it's actually pretty legit.

The odd part was the in order to achieve some iron sight retained capability, you end up with a basically skylined mount that is crazy tall... still works, operates quite well, ends up right around that ACOG mounted RMR/TA-01 position, but it's still an interesting compromise for going fast close and staying 'tight' in terms of shoulder positioning, and there are definite downsides when shooting around barriers.

For magnified, I just stick with 1.93 because it works really well, slap some 45° offsets onto there, and party on.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I just put (literally the other night) the Unity riser on my SBR for my Eotech, and for someone that has neck and shoulder issues it feels fantastic for me in presentation and dryfire. Let's see after I get some real rounds in and do some drills after zeroing it if I feel the same way.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I also have neck and shoulder issues and really like my 1.93" mounts better compared to my absolute and lower 1/3 co-witness mounts. I'm sold enough to want to try the Unity 2.26" FAST mounts.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Ironically, I have neck and shoulder issues as well. I'd throw a T-2 on a Unity mount if it didn't cost a cool 1k to upgrade to it.

Feedback Score
    Seems those of us who are as young and nimble as we used to be find the higher mounts, both for red dot and for magnified optics, way more comfortable.

For me, if I can more comfortably maintain my cheek weld and overall relation to the gun throughout a string of shots, it is a no-brainer and enhances accuracy.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I wonder how much of our neck and shoulder problems are due to years of scrunching down on absolute and lower 1/3 cowitness sights for hours at a time on range trips or for multiple days in training classes.

I have red dots on 1.93 Scalarworks and 2.26 Unity risers and I don't find any appreciable differences in comfort between them, but they are worlds better than lower 1/3 and under for prolonged use. My wife doesn't like them, so I have her Aimpoint Pro setup with a 1.73 SKD riser.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast