View Poll Results: Which L3 WP Tube specs would you choose?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tube #1

4 100.00%
  • Tube #2

0 0%

Thread: Which L3 Unfilmed WP tube would you pick?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

Which L3 Unfilmed WP tube would you pick?

I am looking a a couple L3 Unfilmed WP tubes and am wondering which one to go with, tube one is cleaner with a much lower EBI, while tube 2 has higher specs (SNR/FOM) but has a small blemish. Which would you choose?

Tube 1:
    Photocathode Sensitivity 2856k - 2193
    EBI - 0.3
    SNR - 31.3
    Resolution - 72
    Halo - 0.8
    FOM - 2254
    very clean, zero blemishes.

Tube 2:
    Photocathode Sensitivity 2856k - 2545
    EBI - 1.1
    SNR - 34.7
    Resolution - 72
    Halo - 0.7
    FOM - 2498
    Very small blemish in Zone 1.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 04-29-22 at 13:08.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Really need to where the zone 1 blem is, in the zone, without that I think I would go with the first one.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Really need to where the zone 1 blem is, in the zone, without that I think I would go with the first one.
    It is on the edge of zone 1 and 2 about 11 o'clock. I it not very dark and quite small but it not a clear as the other one, still quite clear though, honestly I think I'm more concern with the 1.1 EBI vs the 0.3 than the blem. At the same time I know FOM isn't the end all, end all.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Tube 1 for being a more "well rounded" tube.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    You'll benefit from the lower EBI much more than you'd ever notice the SNR difference. Anything over 30 is "great".

Feedback Score
    titz,

If those two are the only two to choose between, I'd go with tube 1. The lower EBI will mean better contrast and better ability to see the edges of things in conditions where you barely have enough light to see passively, including looking into shadowed areas like from a lighter room into a darker one or into the shadows under a treeline.

You would appreciate tube 2's added SNR a little more in a wider variety of conditions from high to low light, but I think tube 1 with the much better EBI will do more to improve your experience than the 3.4 extra points of SNR.

You could try and hold out for a unicorn tube, something with an SNR of 34+ and EBI of 0.1 would be approaching the ideal, but you'll be in line behind all the stat nerds and astrophotography guys for one of those.

One additional tidbit: If you exclusively use NV in environments below 50*F, the EBI matters a lot less. The colder the tube is, the lower the EBI will be. If in a hot climate, especially a humid one where things stay hot most of the night, EBI is much more important.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Thanks guys, I was thinking tube one was the way to go between these two. @Aries144 thanks for the additional tidbit I was not aware of that (still pretty new at this part of the game) and while hot/humid isn't a regular thing where I am now I go there quite a bit so that cinches it for me.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    titz,

If those two are the only two to choose between, I'd go with tube 1. The lower EBI will mean better contrast and better ability to see the edges of things in conditions where you barely have enough light to see passively, including looking into shadowed areas like from a lighter room into a darker one or into the shadows under a treeline.

You would appreciate tube 2's added SNR a little more in a wider variety of conditions from high to low light, but I think tube 1 with the much better EBI will do more to improve your experience than the 3.4 extra points of SNR.

You could try and hold out for a unicorn tube, something with an SNR of 34+ and EBI of 0.1 would be approaching the ideal, but you'll be in line behind all the stat nerds and astrophotography guys for one of those.

One additional tidbit: If you exclusively use NV in environments below 50*F, the EBI matters a lot less. The colder the tube is, the lower the EBI will be. If in a hot climate, especially a humid one where things stay hot most of the night, EBI is much more important.
    I had a 34.1 SNR 0.1 EBI tube with 0.8 Halo, as I recall. I currently have a 36.9/0.7 and 37/0.5 set of tubes in my binos. Honestly, they all work about the same, except I do agree that the EBI in that 0.1 tube has made it the best at uber low-light contrast of all the few tubes I've looked through.

Feedback Score
    The first tube. Amazing EBI. SNR is almost imperceptible in difference after 30+.