Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.5" Short REECE Build To Be Suppressed Soup To Nuts Feedback Please

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

12.5" Short REECE Build To Be Suppressed Soup To Nuts Feedback Please

OK, looking for input. I'd like to learn from other's successes or education. KEY it all has to work together. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

This is starting out on a pistol lower, until the ATF changes the rules.

I've been collecting parts ideas for quite awhile.

I already have an 11.5" Super Duty (embarrassed to say I haven't shot it yet), but I want to build a premium or near premium 12.5 REECE all around tool. Looking for barrel, BCG, gas block, buffer system/receiver extension and any other components that will contribute to the overall improvement of this rifle. This will start as a pistol, until SBR time.

Here are some of the pieces I have, but as I said I'm willing to buy other stuff to optimize the build. If you've done this before I'd like to learn from your experience. What did you do to control over gas? How did you keep the cyclic rate down? Control gas to the eyes? Did you have to use an adjustable gas block? How'd you keep it reliable? What would you suggest?

So, here are some of the parts I already have to choose from, but I'm not opposed to using other stuff. What would you do?

BCGs
    - BCM, LMT Enhanced, Daniel Defense, San Tan (Enhanced), or I could buy a Geissele RBCG

Upper
    - Mega MML 12" This is an unusual Upper/Rail combo most folks don't know about
    - Vltor MUR w/Geissele Mk16
    - Standard forged upper

Barrel - I'd especially like to get feedback on the barrel.
    - Noveske Leonides 12.5 with pinned gas block

Buffer system
    - Carbine with H2 or H3 and Sprinco Blue
    - Vltor A5 with A5H2 or A5H3 and Sprinco Green (I think)

The Suppressors will be: Sure Fire RC2, and probably a Dead Air Sandman S (Haven't ordered this yet)

How would you build it? Any changes? I'll probably use the Mega MML.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-30-22 at 14:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No interest in an adjustable gas block?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    I already have an 11.5" Super Duty (embarrassed to say I haven't shot it yet),
    Honestly for just 1" on a rifle, I think you are wasting much of your time to go from 11.5->12.5"

But to your question, "It will Depend". You can pick all the same components as someone else and it might not work due to ammo, tolerances, or something else.

BCGs
    - BCM, LMT Enhanced, Daniel Defense, San Tan (Enhanced), or I could buy a Geissele RBCG
    I've used BCM and got a great deal on a RBCG, I like them both. Or OEM Colt.

Upper
    - Mega MML 12" This is an unusual Upper/Rail combo most folks don't know about
    - Vltor MUR w/Geissele Mk16
    - Standard forged upper
    Honestly I don't think these will matter much for most builds - I have Mega (standard) Uppers, Noveske marked VLTORs, and standard forged OEM Colt. They all work great.
    Barrel - I'd especially like to get feedback on the barrel.
    - Noveske Leonides 12.5 with pinned gas block
    - BA 12.5 with pinned gas block
    I have a 14.5 Noveske Chrome lined pinned Switchblock from 2012 which is awesome in all regards - accuracy, suppression, you name it. My suppressed BCM (11.5) is gassy. I had a Colt 6920 upper / barrel that was gassy as well. My Proof 16" is a sweatheart with how it's setup.
    Buffer system
    - Carbine with H2 or H3 and Sprinco Blue
    - Vltor A5 with A5H2 or A5H3 and Sprinco Green (I think)
    It's really going to depend on the barrel, gas port size, and suppressor. You likely will need to have several options (Blue & H2/H3 or Green A5H2-3). I use both with suppressed builds. My especially gassy BCM 11.5 suppressed needs an A5H3, while my Proof 16" mid is gentle as can be and reliable with a Blue H2.

The journey is part of the fun, actually.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    If I understand, based on your parts choice, you’re looking to put together a short-barreled, precise, suppressed, magnified package.

If that’s the case, I’ll give my opinion. Your parts list seems fine. This is what I’d do.

Barrel - Criterion CORE or BRT EXC (sold out now)

BCG - Sionics NP3. Or, BCM, Colt, Centurion, SOLGW

Upper - VLTOR MUR-1S

Handguard - Anything. If it were me, and I didn’t care about mounting an aiming device on the handguard, I’d go as light as reasonable. I happen to like CMT’s options. I think a BCM KMR (original) is also a great option if you can score one used. Centurion CMR. ALG EMR. VLTOR had some going for cheap recently. You can get fancy on this, but I think most people may worry more than necessary about it. I’m still tempted to try out a LaRue upper/handguard combo, though.

Gas Block - Riflespeed, if you are willing to spend the money; looks like a solid way to adjust gas to me. If standard, BCM or Centurion, though there are plenty of good ones.

Buffer System - Eh, less important if you get the gas system right. A5 apparently has “envelope” benefits that I am not good enough to notice. But the standard receiver extension is fine. With buffers, don’t simply go heavier. A5H2, H2 are baselines and probably fine with a suppressor…again, if gassed rightly. Just an opinion. Might even be able to go to H1 if you can dial down the gas when suppressed.

On suppressors, if for the same gun…for those options, you’re going to need to choose either/or, not both.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Can't go wrong with any of the barrels mentioned. I've had 1 12.5" rifle and it was mid length from Ar15performance. Super smooth and 0 issues suppressed with h2 buffer. Currently I use an 11.5" triarc trac 2.0. I'm impressed enough with triarc I also built a 16" with their barrel, but as another member stated you already have a solid 11.5 upper. I'm not sure the little gain you'll get going to 12.5 is worth the cost.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Adjustable gas blocks and other gas mitigating features may not be necessary and/or may even cause problems depending on how your barrel is gassed. Probably worth adding Criterion, Hodge, and Triarc barrels in there for conisderation. Noveskes have been way overgassed for a long time IME and based on various reports. I'd pick Hodge way before Noveske.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I'd call Monty at Centurion and give him my credit card number. Which is what I already did.

Then I just added a Vortex 1-10X Gen III MRAD, a Cloud WML and a ThunderBeast can.

Stupid accurate, runs like a scalded dog, and is not horribly heavy, either.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'd call Monty at Centurion and give him my credit card number. Which is what I already did.

Then I just added a Vortex 1-10X Gen III MRAD, a Cloud WML and a ThunderBeast can.

Stupid accurate, runs like a scalded dog, and is not horribly heavy, either.
    At least that’s a nice, clean solution. And they have great CS from my limited experience and lots that I’ve heard. Everyone else in the 12.5 game is questionable at best I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Honestly for just 1" on a rifle, I think you are wasting much of your time to go from 11.5->12.5"

They will be used for different things and I have most of the parts.

But to your question, "It will Depend". You can pick all the same components as someone else and it might not work due to ammo, tolerances, or something else.

Your answer already helped. I'm reasonable consistent with ammo, in that I don't use under powered ammo. I always use brass cased 5.56 and very occasionally .223 brass . BUT, I think you are right, each build will be different, and I suspect the suppressors will vary as well.

Just moved to a free state last summer, so I'm new to shorter rifles/pistols and suppressors.

I've used BCM and got a great deal on a RBCG, I like them both. Or OEM Colt.

I think I might go with BCM because I have some extra BCM BCGs, unless you guys have a better Idea.

Honestly I don't think these will matter much for most builds - I have Mega (standard) Uppers, Noveske marked VLTORs, and standard forged OEM Colt. They all work great.

Thanks for your input.

I have a 14.5 Noveske Chrome lined pinned Switchblock from 2012 which is awesome in all regards - accuracy, suppression, you name it. My suppressed BCM (11.5) is gassy. I had a Colt 6920 upper / barrel that was gassy as well. My Proof 16" is a sweatheart with how it's setup.
    It's really going to depend on the barrel, gas port size, and suppressor. You likely will need to have several options (Blue & H2/H3 or Green A5H2-3). I use both with suppressed builds. My especially gassy BCM 11.5 suppressed needs an A5H3, while my Proof 16" mid is gentle as can be and reliable with a Blue H2.

Well, I'm happy I already have some extra buffers and springs to try out. I'll have to look into Proof Research barrels.

I've been trading messages with Noveske about their barrels with the switch block. Noveske no longer has rails made to go over the switch block. He suggested a short rail or a Superlative adjustable. Problem is, that Noveske only sells barrels with gas blocks pre-installed. I don't want to put a gas block over the top of a pre-drilled barrel.

I'm pretty sure I want a hammer forged chrome lined for this project. But I may have to compromise.

The journey is part of the fun, actually.
    Thanks for your help, and yes, the journey is part of the fun. I'm just trying to learn from people with experience.^^^
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-30-22 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    No interest in an adjustable gas block?
    Definitely Stick, I was trying to use one of the two 12.5" barrels I have in storage, but both have a preinstalled GB I think. Do you have a good 12.5" in mind that you would buy?

I was hoping for a HF CL with the kind of steel Noveske has, but Noveske doesn't sell a barrel without a GB. And the Noveske Switch Block won't fit under a rail.

I would go with a Superlative GB, if I could find a really good HF barrel. Funny, that 12.5 HF CL barrels aren't easy to find (at least for me).
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-30-22 at 00:47.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast